Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Having fun!

Life is difficult. That is the first line of an old favorite self-help book, "The Road Less Traveled." The author goes on to say that once you accept that, it gets easier. Hmm. It does? I guess I have moments of ease, but the reality of my life is that it isn't easy for me. The reasons no longer matter to me. It's my job to find my way, spiritually, emotionally and physically, to inner peace. There is no way around that road - it's hard. But so so worth it. Yet I must balance this hard work with joy and laughter and plain old fun. I'm so damned hard on myself, I forget to have fun. My hubby is great for this. He loves to try to make me laugh. And most of the time he succeeds. If he doesn't, it's my bad, not his.

My Sugartime rehearsals are once again fun, now that we are a duo. Our focus is on having a good time, not worrying about whether we're singing the right notes. That doesn't mean we don't work on getting the notes right, but it's not the focus. That's the difference. So I'm having fun singing, doing my work out routine, which is basically dancing around my living room for a half hour, hanging with hubby and friends. The writing isn't so fun these days. I'm having to go thru my manuscript line by line, trying to show, not tell. Oy! Doesn't come naturally to me. But it's joyous when I do find a way to say the line in a way that shows.

So, are you having fun today? If so, how?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

L.G. Smith said...

Glad you're having fun with your singing duo. :)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

"Man is that he might have joy." Like you, I feel that it's my job to find that joy. If I'm not feeling it, it is most likely that I need to make a change-- get more sleep, stop worrying over something I can't fix, have a more positive attitude, call a friend-- the list is long and having joy is within our grasp. Nice thoughtful post, Karen!

Karen Walker said...

L.G. thanks
Karen, some good wisdom in this comment - thank you

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm glad you are continuing as a duo. You've worked so hard to establish your group.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. sounds like you're finding the way .. and also that's excellent news that you'll be singing as a duo and just enjoying yourselves, and laughing with and at each other ... the same way you and your hubby do ...

Enjoy those times .. cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yes, it was the right decision for sure
Hilary, thanks, cheers to you too

Carol Kilgore said...

I'm trying to catch up on blog comments from Alex's blog yesterday. I hope to finish by Friday LOL!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I have had a lazy day today as the rest of the week is hectic.

Yvonne.

Dana said...

I'm having a great time responding to the comments I got in yesterday's blitz! Thanks so much for stopping by. ☺

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying the singing again. If you two let your joy guide you, the audiences are guaranteed to enjoy your shows, whether you hit every note spot on or not. If you enjoy, they'll enjoy.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen, sometimes it's the little things that give me the greatest joy. Today it was fixing my first salad of the year with home-grown baby lettuce and spinach. It was yummy.

Karen Walker said...

Carol, oy!
Yvonne, lazy days are so delicious
Dana, hope you enjoyed your blitz day
Susan, you are so right!
Patricia, the little things are what brings me the most joy -
karen

Arlee Bird said...

I like to say "Life is as difficult as we think it is and as we make it." I'm glad to hear you're having more fun with the singing. Maybe it's time for a short writing break. Or maybe just to find the fun in the writing and run with it.

Lee
A Faraway View
An A to Z Co-host blog

Karen Walker said...

No, Lee, I don't need a break - I need to trust myself that what I need to do will make the book better, even if it's not so much fun doing it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Glynis said...

Ah, timely post, Karen! Happiness ... I tagged you. :)