Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, June 28, 2013

Our nation's capital

I grew up in NYC. As a child, I spent time in Connecticut and New Jersey, because we had relatives there, but I'd only been to Washington DC one time and that was in the 1970s when I participated in a march. And since I am not a very political person and certainly never want this blog to be about politics, I am not mentioning what the march was for (or against). It's not the purpose of this post.


What is the purpose is to share how moved I was by visiting our nation's capital. I have always loved history, particularly European history and culture. But it wasn't until I was standing at the Lincoln Memorial that I truly got, deep inside my bones, how very lucky we are to live in this country. The whole reason our country exists is so that we could have the freedoms we have today, freedoms we take for granted. In the American History museum, artifacts from the Civil Rights movement remind me that it wasn't so long ago that all of our citizens didn't have the same rights and freedoms. Those had to be fought for.


I will be writing more about this trip and what it meant to me, but for today I'll leave it here with these few photos.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We are truly blessed to live here!
Good for those college students. They inspired change and in a peaceful manner.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Love the pictures, Karen. I haven't been to DC since the early 80s, so we're going to try to go with the kids next summer. Such a worthwhile trip.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yes, we are
Elizabeth, it's a very special place - your children will learn so much

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I have fond memories of NYC, I enjoyed your post and pictures it was a joy and of interest.

Yvonne.

L.G. Smith said...

I've never been to D.C., but I would love to visit. I think I would get chills seeing the Lincoln Memorial.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The memorials are so touching. The one for WWII moved me, as my father served in the Navy during the war.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Yvonne
LG, I did have chills!
Diane, yes, I was moved as well, since my dad was a WWII vet.

Tonja said...

I have some great DC memories.

Suze said...

I couldn't agree more with you about how fortunate we are to live in this country, Karen. This was a thoughtful post and I look forward to your next installment.

Arlee Bird said...

My wife and I have had a couple of brief visits to Washington. We need to go back to spend more time and see more sites.

I never participated in any marches or demonstrations in my college days, but I sat on the sidelines for a few. Never got into political issues back then.

Lee
A Faraway View