Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday Musings: starting to come together

I have been fairly one dimensional for most of my life. What I mean by that is I operated mostly on feelings. The five senses, I've been sort of shut down to them. So of course, when it comes to writing fiction, when you need to include sensory details, I'm kind of stuck. A couple of years ago a dear friend blogging friend, Suze, suggested I begin to pay attention to my senses when I'm out and about. That went the way of the Edsel. But last week, another dear blogging friend, Tracy, suggested the same thing. I've tried it and, lo and behold, while out hiking in great heat, I noticed how cool the rock felt when I held onto it for support. I noticed the breeze on my face when I found a bit of shade. The silence where we were hiking spoke volumes. A peregrine falcon cawed the whole time it was flying through a canyon.

Now I think I know what I need to do for my next draft. Thank you, Suze and Tracy.

How about you? Do you live your life using all of your  senses?
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You just needed a moment to really connect to understand it.

Jennifer Shirk said...

No, I don't think I really use all my senses. I need to pay attention more to that--I'm probably missing some good stuff!!

Karen Walker said...

So true, Diane
Jennifer, me, too!

Arlee Bird said...

Sounds like good advice. I try to indulge all of my senses, but sometimes I get so lost in thought I become desensitized to what's around me. I need to work on this too.

Lee
Wrote By Rote

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Involving all of the senses isn't easy at first. Once you become aware of it, you'll find it easier to see things on paper with with all five senses. (Smell was the one I struggled with the longest.)

Carol Kilgore said...

I try. I think I'm better at it at some days than I am others.

Karen Walker said...

Lee, I don't even think about my senses, so I'm working on bringing it into my consciousness
Alex, yes, I think smell will be the toughest for me as well
Carol, good for you!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

With great difficulty Karen.

Enjoyed your post as always I come away learning something about life.

Yvonne.

D.G. Hudson said...

You immersed yourself into the moment. When it happened, at least you could make the connection with what you had been told by friends.

An instructor told me to think of each sense and notice whether it was a smell, a sound, a feeling or texture of an object, and so on.
I posted about this a while back. It's under my Paris Posts tab (Immerse Yourself in the Moment)

Patricia Stoltey said...

I think I do most of the time. It's easiest when we are at peace with the world and can relax and enjoy our surroundings. It's harder when we're under a lot of stress.

Liz Fichera said...

I think that's why I go hiking in the desert so often. It's the one place where I can think clearly and feel everything.

Suze said...

:) Well, of course, I loved this post. I so enjoyed having that coffee (really, a tea) with you last week, Karen.