Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Attitude Adjustment

Everyone probably has a remote control device that controls the functions of the TV, stereo, etc. You can make it louder/softer, turn it on and off, fast-forward or rewind. And you can hit the pause button to stop everything. Well, I've installed a pause button on myself. I tend towards depressive, negative thinking. It's how I was built. I've had to train myself to recognize those thoughts, bring those dark places out into the light, and try to turn them around. It's a daunting task, but I succeed more often than not. See, the thing is, the thoughts are habitual, so by installing the pause button, if I am lucky enough to capture the thought in the moment I am having it and hitting that pause button, it stops the old pattern. Then I make my attitude adjustment, and voila, I feel so much better.

Do you need a pause button?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Manzanita said...

Do you know what else works...... white stuff under the eyes. I'm really never "down" but when my 1st husband said he wanted a divorce, I was "down" for about 5 minutes. Then a girlfriend called and said, "Stop crying and put some white stuff under the eyes and lets go out." And so I did. :)

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I get like this sometimes, too. And I know they don't make any sense, but it's hard to stop those thoughts once they hit.

L.G. Smith said...

Yes, I know what you mean. I do try, when the negativity starts, to shut it down. Not always possible, but I at least recognize it's me doing it to myself. And you may find that the thyroid medication helps with the pause button. Depression is often a side-effect of the low thyroid, and getting on the right dosage and combining it with exercise helps with that -- a lot, in my case. :)

Karen Walker said...

Love that, Manzanita - I'll give it a whirl
Rachel, sigh!
L.G. Yeah, I have a follow up with the doc next week - I really don't think the dosage is right.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I love this analogy.

I find that, if I don't take regular blocks of time just for myself, to sit at home in peace and write, or read, or play a video game, I get very antsy. Especially if I have time off booked and end up constantly busy and active.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good for you!
I learned years ago how to put on the pause before I spoke, to snatch back those things I shouldn't say before I say them.

LD Masterson said...

Pause buttons are good. Fast forward would come in handy sometimes, too.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

It's really good that you are introspective enough to recognize the feelings when they're occuring. Many people are unable to do that. I have always thought that that's half the battle, if not more!

Tara Tyler said...

i love the pause button!
i use it on my kids
i wish i had the forethought to use it on my own mouth sometimes...

happy vibes to you!

Damyanti said...

Pause buttons are good, both for thought and speech. I have a pause button similar to yours, and I guess we're lucky to be able to use them.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We all could all use that pause button. Just a moment to stop and realize that we are the ones in control, not our situation.

Jack said...

I've had to do the same thing with myself. It is amazing how much it helps, even if it is hard to remember.

Kelley Lynn said...

This is a great idea! Love it.

Denise Covey said...

Sometimes, maybe always, for some of us, we need to work on our positivity. We find what works, and what doesn't. I'm glad you have that pause button working for you Karen.

Suze said...

I have a mug that says 'Pause' and one that says 'Create.' 'Nuff said.

Great post, K.

Goku shrestha said...

I do ! at times.