Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: folk dance camp

Tomorrow hubs and I are off to our annual folk dance camp. For those who don't know, folk dancing is the cultural dances from around the world, i.e. Romanian, Hungarian, Israeli, Bulgarian, Serbian, Russian, etc. They consist of line dances, circle dances and couple dances. The music is divine and the dancing is so much fun.

I haven't been able to dance much the last few years because of my knee (very little cartilage left), but I'm going to camp this year to hang out with friends and dance a little. Our camp takes place on a university campus where we stay in the dorms and eat in the cafeteria. After taking part in workshops all day long, we dance from 8 - 11 pm, then hang out in the lounge with guitars and other instruments and sing till 1 or 2 am.

Now that we're all getting older, not sure how the hanging out part after the dance party will go, but I'll let you know.

Till then....
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just don't overdo it and you'll have a great time. I'd enjoy the hanging with guitar part, but like you, I don't think I'd make it that late. The only time I'm up past midnight now is New Year's Eve, and then then that's a struggle.

DEZMOND said...

woohoo! I could join you in Serbian folk dance "kolo" it's kinda like riverdance :)

Julie Flanders said...

This sounds like a lot of fun, and interesting too. I love learning about different cultural traditions like this. I'm the world's worst dancer, but I know I'd enjoy watching.

I hope you have a great time and your knee cooperates so that you are able to take part in a little of the dancing. :)

Karen Walker said...

Alex, oh how I wish you could be there with your guitar. I'd so love to hear you play.
Dezmond, you could probably teach us.
Julie, it is fun. thanks for the good wishes

Suze said...

Oh, Karen--enjoy yourself!

Manzanita said...

Oh those knees are so important. You will have a ball. My predictions always are right. Ha

L.G. Smith said...

Party animals! I don't even know if I could stay up until 1 or 2 am anymore. :P

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Sounds like heaven! Even if you aren't able to dance as much as you'd like, the music and overall atmosphere will make your heart dance and sing, and that's almost as good. Have a fantabulous time!

LD Masterson said...

Very cool. Have fun but be gentle on your poor knee.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I watched authentic Scottish folk dance when we were in Scotland in 1999 and it looked like fun. Know your limits and just have fun.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Suze. Any news?
Manzanita, I will trust your predictions!
L.G. don't think I can anymore either
Susan, so true - thanks
LD, I plan to be gentle with my knee. Trust me!
Diane, it is fun - and I will definitely pay attention to my limits.

Jack said...

Folk dancing is fun to watch, every time I see it I want to try it. The camp sounds like fun. I hope you have a nice time and are able to get a bit of dancing in.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Karen I look forward to reading the recap of your visit to the camp :) will there be pics of the dancing festivities?!

Gina Gao said...

That sounds like a lot of fun!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Romance Reader said...

Sounds heaps of fun! And interesting too!

Nas

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. that sounds very civilised - with the knowledge that you're going to have a great time .. sounds like enormous fun to me ... bet you do a few late nights listening away ...

Enjoy and I'd love to join you! .. cheers Hilary