Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: medical mysteries

I am in a process that is both frustrating and confusing. I was diagnosed with two issues at the same time: a-fib and under-active thyroid. I was put on meds for the thyroid and told to take aspirin for the a-fib. But I don't feel right. I am tired most of the time, very low energy. And my heart doesn't feel quite right. So, I am getting a heart monitor to see how frequently the a-fib is occurring. Since latest thyroid test came back normal, I am getting more blood work for cortisol levels. It is a hunt to find out why I have no energy. I am not the world' most patient person. Far from it. I want to feel good again. I want to not feel anxious. I am trying to trust the process and the docs I am on this journey with. Honestly, I don't know what to think at this point. But I guess that's the thing about solving mysteries. You think one thing, then another piece of evidence comes in and you think something else. I have to wait for all the evidence to be in. Oy!

How about you?
How's your summer so far?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Aurora Smith said...

Well, speaking of medical issues my pacemaker started beeping, which means I need new batteries. Maybe they'll do a tummy tuck and book implants at the same time. Must ask about that.

Kristi said...

Thinking of you! (And so with you...patience is one of those things, I too, lack!)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

The hardest part of most medical challenges is the "not knowing" part. Mysteries are great in a book, but not so hot in real life. It's easier to buck up and handle challenges once the doctor gives them a name. I hope you get your answers soon so you can start kicking those challenges right in the butt.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's tough waiting, but let them get all the right evidence so they can prescribe the right treatments.
Bet you didn't know you were the scene of a crime, did you?

Jemi Fraser said...

Not many things are harder than waiting for medical diagnoses. I've got very under-active thyroid as well and it does sap your energy and your emotions when it's off a little. Takes a few days to rebalance itself too. Hope you find some easy answers soon!

Karen Walker said...

Aurora, LOL,
Kristi, sigh!
Susan, thanks, me, too
Alex, nope, I didn't
Jemi, thanks, that helps - knowing that.

Tonja said...

I have been tired since April. I just got put on blood pressure medicine - a light water pill. I feel much better after just one week.... And then I reinjured my foot and can't drive. I know how frustrated you must be feeling. Hugs.

LD Masterson said...

I'm on meds for my a-fib and I swear it's making me very sluggish. Or maybe it's the a-fib making me sluggish. We should get together and sit around being slugs.

Karen Walker said...

Tonja, I am so so sorry. Hugs right back.
LD, I'd love to talk to you about this

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - sounds like there'll be good glugs and chatter around the slug meet up ...

I'm sorry you're feeling so rough - trying to work out what's happening where in the body is difficult to put it mildly .. keeping your pecker up and only doing what needs to be done and other than that keeping happy ..

Thinking of you - Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Hillary, do you know what "pecker" means here in US?
Made me crack up!

Denise Covey said...

Hi Karen. I'm sorry to hear you're not well. Frustrating when you lack energy. It's always good to question doctors' decisions, especially when you don't feel well once starting treatment.
'pecker', lol.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Fatigue can really drag us down, can't it? Mine is related to arthritis and fibromyalgia which interfere with sleep, so I've had to add naps to my schedule to make sure I get enough rest.

My summer is improving though, and my garden is good therapy. Picked lots of green beans today.

Karen Walker said...

Denise, you are so right about questioning docs. We have to be our own advocates.
Patricia, those sound painful - so sorry.

Tracy Moore said...

Sure hope that you get some answers and solutions soon Karen. I totally understand that patience things and just wanting to feel better. I am still always hoping for a solution too and willing to try new things just to get some relief. Sending lots of hugs your way my friend.