Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, July 1, 2013

Washington DC Part II

We landed in DC on Father's Day and our first stop was the World War II memorial. It would have been a moving experience on any day, but on that particular day, my husband and I walked around honoring our two fathers, both World War II vets, as well as all the other brave soldiers who served our country in such a monumentally important war.


I grew up in the 50's and 60's. I was 14 in 1963 when President Kennedy was assassinated.
This is the eternal flame at his gravesite.


I don't think I ever fully realized the impact this event had on my life and my psyche. And I'm not sure that I ever really grieved his loss.
This is the Viet Nam Memorial


Another event that had an astronomical influence on me. I remember watching the nightly news on a  daily basis and seeing the fighting and killing. It is the first time I remember that kind of violence becoming almost routine.







This doesn't need  my words


Do you see the pigeon? He didn't get the memo!

Anyone else grow up with these guys driving around the neighborhood?








Recognize these? They are Dorothy's ruby slippers. Cool, huh?







This is the box where President Lincoln was sitting in the Ford Theater when he was assassinated.

This tower of books is all 15,000+ books written about Lincoln - more than any other person.

Arlington National Cemetery



The gravesite of Bobby Kennedy - another assassination which occurred in the 1960's, along with Martin Luther  King. Made me realize just how violent my teenage years were and what an upheaval the 1960's caused.






The airplane the Wright Brothers flew






The lunar module that landed on the moon. Talk about an event that had a major impact. 
Well, that's all folks. It was a walk down memory lane, helping me understand events that shaped my personality and my psyche. It was a moving tribute to everything our country stands for and many of the events that got us to where we are today. I may not agree with a lot of the politicians and the way things are done, but I came away from this trip feeling very proud to be a citizen of the United States and an immense amount of gratitude for the freedoms we fought so hard for, including our own Civil War.

Blessings,
Karen





















11 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Wonderful post Karen, many of the awesome pictures I had from my own visit 2 yrs ago, brought back some good memories on Memorial Day 2011.

Yvonne.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Wonderful pictures! Love the tower of books about Lincoln...amazing!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some awesome photos. 15,000 books? Whoa...

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, thanks so much
Elizabeth and Alex, yes, seeing that tower of books was quite something - I had no idea so many books were written about Lincoln.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Beautiful photos. Visiting the WWII Memorial meant the most to me since my father served in the Navy. I took quite a few photos there.

L.G. Smith said...

Wow, wow, wow. I've got to go visit Washington one of these days. So many important things to see.

Damyanti said...

Thanks for sharing this, Karen. makes me want to visit Washington all the more.

LD Masterson said...

I love these pictures (yes, I remember Good Humor trucks). The only one of my favorite monuments you didn't include was the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Suze said...

Ah, wow, Karen. What a fantastic post! So much, here. Reading it makes me think of both my father -- who served three tours of duty in Vietnam -- and my mother -- who worked on Bobby Kennedy's campaign.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, yes, it was so very moving.
L.G. yes, and we barely scratched the surface
Damyanti, I had no idea it was so special
LD, we went there, but I didn't include the photo
Suze, did your mom get to meet him?

Arlee Bird said...

Ah, Good Humor man! Oh how I miss him.

There's something about a visit to D.C. that can stir an American's innards.

Lee
A Faraway View