Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: My heart

I am beginning to think that the words we use to describe our feelings are crucially important. That we really do create our reality with our thoughts. When I lost custody of my four-year-old son back in the 1970's, I said, "there's a hole in my heart where my son used to be." Then, when a crisis occurred in his life a few years ago, I said, "my heart is breaking." Well, now I have something wrong with my heart.
Two things, actually. Documented Atrial fibrillation (a-fib for short) and premature atrial contractions (PAC's).

Neither one is life threatening, but it does put me at greater risk for stroke. I will have to take medication for the irregular heart rhythms because my heart beats dangerously fast when I go into A-fib and the PAC's are precursors to A-Fib. Doc said I really don't have a choice. Hopefully we can get a good dose that eases the symptoms before I leave for South Africa.

I knew I would have to deal with these kinds of health issues as I aged, but I didn't expect this kind of problem at 64. But I guess one never expects a health issue when it happens. And I've learned that to whine and complain about such things is a waste of time and energy. We must simply accept what is happening, deal with it as best we can, and move on.

I guess the reason I am posting about this is that I want to shine a light on language. I've used words like, "I hate my legs, I hate my body," etc, and I think our subconscious takes those words literally.
I am paying attention to my thoughts and my feelings about my body now in ways I never have before. My new motto is "I am perfectly healthy." And my new attitude is respectful towards and honoring this body I have been given.

How about you?
Blessings
Karen

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There's power in the spoken word. God spoke this world into existence and we are created in His image - thus our words are just as powerful. Keep speaking health, Karen!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We often get what we speak. Bad enough when we think it, but when we say it, we give it power.

Author Shad Helmstetter (who I got to see do a talk once) has a book called "What to Say When You Talk to yourself." If we speak what we want, our subconscious minds can't tell the difference between reality and what we are constantly telling, and thus will begin to act on our words as if they were real. It's not just speaking positive - it's reprogramming our minds.

Suze said...

Karen, have you seen the film, 'What the Bleep Do We Know?'

Karen Walker said...

Alex, that's my intention, for sure.
Diane, yes, that is exactly what I am working on - reprogramming my thoughts.
Suze, yes, I have.

Tracy Jo said...

Sorry to hear about your heart. I totally agree. My mantra that I say every morning since being diagnosed with Dystonia is...I am strong, I am healthy and beautiful. It was hard to say these words at first but it got easier and helps. Treat yourself as kind as you treat others. :-) Hugs and positive thoughts to you.

Liz Blocker said...

What a beautiful, honest, thoughtful, and thought-provoking post. THANK YOU. My 'day job' (read: non-writing job) is a massage therapist, so your thoughts here truly resonate with me. I spend a great deal of time trying to explain to my clients that the body reflects whatever is happening in our minds and souls, not because it's our fault or we don't deal well with stress or emotions, but simply because they are all one and the same. I love the thought that we should all take care with what we think of ourselves.

And with that care goes a removal of any blame. We feel; our bodies reflect those feelings; that's all there is to it. The best we can do is take care of ourselves - manage stress, process our emotions and experiences, be gentle with ourselves, and, as you say, take care with how we think of ourselves.

Karen Walker said...

Tracy Jo, that is a difficult diagnosis, indeed. Our thoughts are so very powerful - really, I had no idea how powerful they are.
Liz, thank you so much for this. I must remember not to blame myself.

Manzanita said...

Yes I believe there is power in words. I don't like to use certain words and "hate" is one of them, but I have said it from time to time and I immediately wish I could take it back.

Sorry to hear you have a heart complication. You are a fighter and you will overcome it.

Robin said...

Yes. I agree that words have power. I think that even our thoughts have power, which is why it is really important to control your thoughts vs. your thoughts controlling you. So many people have spoken about the importance and power of attitude; I believe it is true. People who live positively tend to receive positive things and the same goes for negative.

This is a great post. People need to be reminded of what they say and think and how it can manifest itself in their lives/bodies.

Tonja said...

I hope you're feeling better soon.

South Africa is a long trip (I assume you are in the US). My husband went there once for work. Take pictures for us. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it is so true - if our glass if half full, then it is .. if it is half empty it is going down - and then is difficult to pull back out ..

So good for you .. and I do correct myself as often as I can .. 'hating' something is just not on - but so easy to say ..

Good luck with that heart .. my feeling is it's in good hands and all will be well ...

Cheers and have a happy weekend .. Hilary

Arlee Bird said...

I agree with you about our words bringing things to fruition. I have a bad habit of saying "I'm sick", usually after I've eaten too much or eaten things that I shouldn't have. My wife always warns me not to say it and I've been trying.

When the doctors discovered my a-fib they said it was probably something I was born with and I was manifesting itself more as I grew older. That explained a lot about my physical endurance in things like phys ed in high school. Now on proper meds I haven't had any of the a-fib symptoms I'd had before.

Lee
Tossing It Out