Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: my spiritual journey

As many of you know, I've had a tough time of it lately dealing with surprising and disturbing medical diagnoses. I wanted to share some of the spiritual truths that helped me get to the positive, inspiring attitude I wrote about here. These are just some of the beliefs that help me understand this universe we live in and how to make sense of things, spiritually.


  • Humans are basically reactive emotionally. I'm learning to stop, or hit a pause button when I notice I'm reacting. Then I tell myself that it's my negative reaction that is the obstacle to my inner peace, not whatever it is I am reacting to. Then I open myself up to allow the Light of Spirit to express my Higher self nature.
  • I am learning to discern what I call the voice of Satan - the voice that talks us out of what is good and into what is bad for us - from the voice of Spirit, which whispers through our intuition, our dreams.
  • Our desires which comes from our ego, needing validation, wanting what others have, thinking we need to have a better house, car, or some other toy, these desires that are purely for self alone, shuts down the LIght from Spirit.
  • When I resist my reactive behavior, my Spirit light keeps shining.
  • Suppression of emotions causes long term stress, which gathers force, builds pressure, and then explodes in some way (either illness, injury or bad behavior).
  • I don't think I deserve joy and happiness if it has come to me in what I consider unearned.
  • Obstacles are an opportunity to connect to the Light - the greater the obstacle, the greater the potential Light.
  • To overcome our reactive nature requires total certainty. When challenges appear overwhelming, inject certainty. THE LIGHT IS ALWAYS THERE.
  • Just like the antidote to snakebite is in the venom, Light is contained within the obstacles of life.
  • Certainty does not mean we get what we want, but we get what we need to further our spiritual growth.
For now, I am certain that I am receiving what I need for my spiritual growth. And if I stop believing for a moment here and there, I act as if...

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The light is always there because God is always there - He never leaves us.
Whenever I try to handle something on my own or do it my way, that's when things get even worse. I have to stop and seek God's way, not mine.
Some smart beliefs to get you to a more positive place!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

So true. And so many bad things can happen when we're reactive. A hard lesson to learn for me!

Tracy Jo said...

Love this. So true! A couple days ago, I went back & read my journaling from a few years back...I realized everything I had wanted pretty much actually happened. It made me believe in having faith and things happen on God's time, not ours. Trust the light!

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yes, the key word is stop!
Elizabeth, it's a hard one for all of us, I think.
Tracy Jo, trust is the key word for me and the one that makes it so hard.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

See? That's one of the good things about getting older. Along with the wrinkles comes wisdom. All very well said, Karen. As long we keep the Light in sight, we can maintain inner peace and balance. My mother also had a phrase that saw her through a lot of rough spots in her life: "This too shall pass."

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - it's wonderful what we learn .. to stop and think before we speak, to leave til the next day or anon ... when the dust has settled ... just to be patient too and to be grateful for all good things - little or large ..

Cheers Hilary

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I really like what you said about obstacles and light Karen...so so true...

Robin said...

A lot of truth in there. I like the last one about getting what you need versus what you want. I think someone wrote a song about that...

Gene Bodzin said...

Your ending is great, Karen! I've been acting as if for years, and found it to be the most effective formula there is. Attitude is whatever percentage of health you make it.

Liz Blocker said...

I love your honesty and willingness to be vulnerable in your posts. I always feel honored to read them, and I always am moved.

Karen Walker said...

Susan, yes, there is a certain degree of wisdom that comes with age. Thank goodness. There has to be something good about it (LOL)
Hillary, yes yes yes
Optimistic, yes, altho' hard to remember when you're in the thick of the obstacle
Robin, I think you're right, but can't for the life of me think of what it is
Gene, yup!
Liz, whew! thank you so much.

Arlee Bird said...

That's some heavy thinking and very well thought out. You offer a good life plan.

Lee
A Faraway View

Carole Anne Carr said...

Well done, that takes a great deal of achieve, may you continue on this positive journey. Carole.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I even love the term "spiritual journey" because it reminds me there's always more to learn.