Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: I can't wait...

I didn't start traveling until I was 50. My parents couldn't afford to travel anywhere but the Catskills, which is in upstate New York. In my twenties and thirties and forties, I was busy dealing with failed marriages, losing custody of my only child, starting and building a successful PR firm, and trying to become a better person (still on that particular journey).

I met my current hubby when I was 46. We began traveling together almost immediately, mostly road trips to National Parks, trips to Florida to see my folks, and things like that. But when I was going to turn 50 (yikes, 14 years ago), we went to Europe for my first time. It was a dream come true. I'd never thought I would get to travel, let alone go to Rome, Venice and Florence, Stonehenge, and Paris.

We have been many places since then: back to Europe on a six-week adventure that included 11 countries, mostly in Eastern Europe; an Alaskan cruise, Guatemala, a Caribbean cruise, Mexico, well, you get the idea.

This month, we are going to South Africa. We will spend 5 days in Cape Town, then 4 days on Safari at a private game reserve, then 4 days in Victoria Falls. I have always dreamed of going to Africa to see the animals, sadly many of whom are disappearing from the planet. I'm one of those people who cries when driving and I see a dead animal in the road. One of my closest friends is a wildlife biologist who works tirelessly to protect endangered species. When I look into the eyes of an animal, I see a soul.

I know there is a possibility we won't see some of the animals we hope to see, but whatever we do get to see will be such a blessing. So, I can't wait...

Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, South Africa! That will be quite the adventure. Hope you get to see some of the animals at least. Have an awesome time and may you travel for many years to come.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

It's great to travel Karen, Stonehenge is not too far from me. My late husband used to like visiting there and nearby Salisbury Cathedral.
Here's to more traveling.

Yvonne.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I hope you share some pics when you get back. Of all your travels, what was your favorite place?

L.G. Smith said...

That is one benefit to getting older...you finally have the resources to do the stuff you've always dreamt about. :)

I think we're going back to the UK next spring. And maybe Ireland. Love it there so much.

Enjoy Cape Town!! My sister went to Africa (Kenya I think) and came home with amazing wildlife photos.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, me, too. And yes, hope to continue the wonderful adventures travel brings for many years to come.
Yvonne, went to Stonehenge on first Euorpean adventure. It was a magical place. Would love to go back some day.
Optimistic, will definitely share pics - and it would be very hard to say which was my favorite place because they all have something wonderful, but the most meaningful was a 6-week sojourn in Eastern Europe which turned out to be an odyssey of my Jewish heritage and a fuller understanding of what the holocaust actually did.
L.G. you do know Ireland is the source for my current WIP? It's where the voice of this Muse came to me and said, "tell my story."

D.G. Hudson said...

Enjoy your trip. I've never thought of Africa as a holiday destination. I used to want to visit Egypt and Morocco, but not necessarily at this point. Safaris remind me of the old days when the animals were sitting ducks for the 'guided' hunters.

Photographing all that wildlife will be a great experience. Hope you'll share your photos.

Manzanita said...

Karen
How fortunate for you to be fulfilling your dreams. I wish you much joy and being able to see lots of wild animals. Ha

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm so so happy for you. It would be glorious to visit all those places, and more. We have some amateur radio pals in South Africa who've paid us a visit, but we're never reciprocated. Because of all the travel he had to do before he retired, my hubby's in no hurry to travel now, and that's okay. I'm happy with the adventures we do have, and can get my vicarious international thrills through my blogger pals. (Like you!)

Sharon Lippincott said...

Whatever you see, you'll have the adventure of a lifetime. Go in peace and take a bushel of $1 bills to spend in Victoria Falls. Allow extra room in your suitcase to bring souvenirs back from there, not just because you'll see things you want, but to help the desperate souls selling them. They don't beg -- they sell things! Bravo for that! You'll love the falls and the historic place I'm sure you'll stay.

Go in peace and spread it all around.

Suze said...

You so deserve this. More in the email I just sent you but let me just say I am so, so pleased for you.

Karen Walker said...

D.G., yes I have that same image of safari in my head. This is quite different, thank goodness. And I still want to see Egypt and Morocco, altho not safe to do so now.
Manzanita, thank you
Susan, thanks so much
Sharon, great advice - thank you!
Suze, miss you!!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Enjoy all your many journeys. How exciting!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Hopefully you see critters! I didn't travel out of the country until I was in my 30's and I can't wait to go overseas again.

Teresa Coltrin said...

I love traveling too. My parents were too poor for us to take family vacations. When I got married and had children, we got to take small in the state vacations, but that's all. I was looking forward to traveling after my husband got his degree. But he divorced me and that was that. The kicker was he took the next two wives to Hawaii, a place I've always wanted to go.

You'll have a blast on safari.

Liz Blocker said...

I am JEALOUS! And also happy for you :) How amazing!! Have a fantastic time!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - sounds like hubby is a wonderful find .. and I know you've had some lovely trips with him ..

... as you know after living in South Africa and having relatives in Zimbabwe .. and seeing lots of the area I can't wait to live vicariously once again with you ...

Enjoy and no wonder you can't wait - but this is the best bit!! Cheers Hilary

Misha Gericke said...

I really hope you have a great time in my country! ;-)

Jack said...

Traveling to South Africa sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you have a wonderful time! It is so great you are able to do it 8-D

Arlee Bird said...

National Parks are among my favorite travel experiences. Have a great time in South Africa.

Lee
Wrote By Rote