Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: gratitude

As many of you know, I am dealing with some health issues that have proven to be challenging and difficult to manage. What is helping me not go completely off center is gratitude. When I get scared, I remind myself of all I have to be grateful for. When I feel sorry for myself, I look at all the blessings I have in my life. When I get angry at my body for what is doing to me, I thank it for carrying me so well for 64 years.

Oh, and yesterday I hired an editor for my novel. Yikes and Yippee!!!

How about you? Do you practice gratitude?
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you found an editor!
If you can maintain an attitude of gratitude, you'll make it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - well done on finding an editor .. that will ease your way forward ..

As you say that area ahead is perhaps the space you need to give yourself a little time of recovery or easing of the health challenges ..

Enjoy your novel's life ahead .. cheers Hilary

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Karen I agree 100%. When we focus on on the good things in our life it makes the bad things much more manageable doesn't it? Congrats on hiring an editor! I hope you feel better soon :)

Karen Walker said...

Alex, thank you on all counts
Hilary, it was a relief to choose someone I feel really good about - thank you
Optimistic, so true, isn't it?

Arlee Bird said...

Glad you got your editor. Another big step forward.

I do have a lot of gratitude for being bestowed with a truly blessed life. I can recall 20 years ago telling someone, "If I died today I could go knowing I've had a great life and I'm thankful for what I've had." Now that another 20 years has passed I feel this to be all the more true. Yes, I am grateful.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Sharon Lippincott said...

Congratulations on finding that editor. Big step. That should help you "relax back into the story."

I do practice gratitude, though at stressful times (which have been plentiful lately) it's sometimes hard to remember, so thanks for the nudge!

Suze said...

Hey, you snuck in that bit about your editor at the last moment! I'll yippee!! with you. :)

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Yes Karen I am a great believer in gratitude. I am a favourite quote
"Todays gratitude buys you tomorrow's happiness.

Good luck with your publisher.
Yvonne

Karen Walker said...

Lee, it's a nice feeling, isn't it?
Sharon, so sorry to hear it's been stressful
Suze,thanks
Yvonne, I like that saying

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I always feel much better when I *am* practicing gratitude, but I don't always hit my goal there. :)

So glad you've got your editor! Things are really moving along.

LD Masterson said...

Having an editor is great news. Just keep focusing on the positive. It won't make everything better but it will make it bearable.

Liz Blocker said...

Thank you for the beautiful reminder - a friend of mine said that the more you practice gratitude, the more the universe gives you to be grateful for. I hope that's true! Congrats on the editor!!