Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: mind/body connection

So I'm going to get down and dirty personal today. I haven't been feeling well for a long time now. My heart and thyroid went wonky back in February. I just now got on meds that have mostly regulated my heart - my thyroid still is wonky and I'm gaining weight. Those of you who know me  know how hard I worked to lose 70 pounds and keep it off, so to gain weight through no fault of my own is infuriating and scary. And the third issue is my voice. I sing, so it's important. I have a chronic tickle deep in my throat and it makes my voice wobbly and cut out. Okay, so I'm telling you this, not to complain or to get sympathy, but to share an insight.

It was around February that I finished the drafts of my book. Or so I thought. Really, I thought I'd done everything I needed to do on it. If you read my post yesterday you already know that I most certainly had not. February is when my health started to decline. While talking to a friend recently, I remembered that when I was a kid, I used to pretend to be sick if I didn't want to go to school. I got symptoms down so I could fool my mother. Then, as I grew up, I would get sick (for real) if I didn't want to do something. The aha moment came when I realized I'd gotten sick right around the time I finished my book because deep down inside, I knew I wasn't done. And I knew that what I had to do to make this book what it needs to be is damned hard. The subject matter is intense and I have to go deeper inside myself and allow myself inside these characters and I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS.

My editor said to me, "I know how deep you've already gone so if you don't want to do this, it's okay." And I said, "I've always known that this book is my spiritual journey and my spiritual journey is this book. I can't not do it."

So, I still don't feel well, and I probably won't feel better until I begin the extensive revisions that are needed on my manuscript. I just can't face it quite yet...

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At least you've made the connection. Scary how much control the mind has over the body, isn't it?

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It's amazing how mind and body are connected.

And I think your issue with your book is very common. Ran across a post yesterday as I was reading my blog reader on the same issue: https://tinyurl.com/kkrjdr6. It's titled: Emotional Barrier in Fiction: Why is it so important for you to learn how to cross it? Think it has a couple of follow-up posts, too. Hugs to you!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Our minds are so powerful. They say 80% of all illnesses are self-induced.

Karen, I hope you can face it soon.

J. A. Bennett said...

Wow, what an amazing way to look at illness. I wish you the best of luck on revisions!!

Karen Walker said...

Alex, it's terrifying.
Elizabeth, thanks so much - I'm heading over to the link right now
Diane, yes, they are, aren't they? I hope so, too. I just need to feel a little better
J.A., it's so much easier to just take drugs...

L.G. Smith said...

If that's true, that's some serious avoidance. Whatever is causing that needs to go in the book.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I sure hope you are feeling better soon, Karen. This may be time to pause, but I don't believe you will ever stop doing what you love-- music and writing-- only a brief pause while you take care of more pressing issues.

Karen Walker said...

L.G., oy!
Karen, thank you. Me, too.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Well done Karen for figuring it out.
Good luck and good health.

Yvonne.

Liz Blocker said...

Incredible and admirable to have figured this out. That's a huge, huge step. The rest will come - hang in there.

Sharon Lippincott said...

What stunning insight. Lots to ponder for me, and probably everyone. Blessings on your shovel!

Tonja said...

I have thyroid nodules (which is a nice word for tumors). From what I understand, thyroid issues happen mostly to women with no known cause. Bad things happen to us at the worst possible time because the universe has a dark sense of humor.

Do your writing because you love it and/or need it. And take care of yourself because you deserve it. But it's not your fault that you're sick.

LD Masterson said...

Hopefully, your body will also let you know when you're ready to get back to writing.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could simply go through life writing first drafts and never have to revisit a manuscript? Or go deep within to right old wrongs? I guess the secret is to go slow, take it easy, wait until we're ready. You'll know when the time is right.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. you must do only what you feel able to do .. no more no less .. I hope you can find something to take your mind off the heaviness and have a light warmer mind-body time ...

With thoughts - Hilary

Connie Arnold said...

It's interesting how much the mind affects the body and how we feel. Hoping for you to feel better and do what you need to take care of yourself.

Ilchi Lee said...

They are all everyday examples that prove your mind and body have a direct impact on each other. In recent years, scientists have been able to prove that your thoughts and feelings affect your body. When you speak to yourself, the trillions of cells that make up your body hear and respond accordingly. Your body has an influence on your mind, and equally, your mind affects your body, and it does so seamlessly and subtly every moment of everyday.