Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group - November

This is November's installment of the Insecure Writer's Support Group, conceived and made real by the infamous Alex J. Cavanaugh alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com. It is one of the most brilliant things ever dreamt up for the Internet, in my humble opinion. Here goes:


Am I insecure this month? Hmmm, let's see. Damned right I am. I have my inner child terrified of this journey we are about to embark on, my adult self knowing I've overcome much more difficult obstacles, my dark side telling me, "who do you think you are to think you can do this" and my Light side blocked in the shadows.

In other words, I'm stuck. I know I will shift out of here. I've been here before and this too shall pass. It always does. But it's not fun until it does. I am distracting myself with friends, movies, and spider solitaire.

Till next time...
Blessings,
Karen

22 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You're being pulled in so many directions you can't move. Time to throw caution to the wind and say "Who cares? I'm doing it anyway."

Charity Bradford said...

Ah, sweet spider solitaire, how we love thy mind numbing exercise. It's really a contradiction if you think about it, the perfect method of procrastination. Sort of like putting together puzzles. Both allow our minds to focus on something that's good for our brains, but doen't really require us to think super hard.

Good luck with this journey. Sounds like you've got the right attitude and just need to ride it out.

Karen Walker said...

I realized that after I wrote this, Diane, and made an appointment with Mark David.

L.G. Smith said...

I got stuck like that back in August. I ended up cleaning every closet and cupboard in my house. Turns out, I had a really difficult emotional section to get through in the novel and I was avoiding it because I didn't want to go through that pain. But now that I have finished the scene it's all good. :))

BECKY said...

You'll do it, Karen! I had to laugh when I read that one of your distractions is Spider Solitaire! I haven't played that, or even thought of it in years! It, too, was one of my major time-squandering-self-sabotaging-I-don't-have-enough-time-to-write things to do! It took me a LONG time to get to the point where I needed to be, to actually sit down and write with any regularity. It's different for every person. Don't bash yourself if it takes you longer than some other writers, ok? I totally understand!

Karen Walker said...

Charity, you expressed it perfectly!
L.G., that's pretty much my story as well
Becky, ah, thank you for the cheerleading. Much appreciated.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What you need is a good shove then! Well, maybe a gentle one.

Diane Burton said...

Been there. My friends gave me the boot I needed. From the above comments, it sounds like your friends are doing the same. You've found the perfect trio--friends, movies, and spider solitaire. I'm partial to mah jong, but whatever works.

Liz Blocker said...

If your brain needs a break, then I say give it one - sometimes the best thing we can do is stop pushing so hard, and rest. And then, when you're ready, get up and WRITE and DON'T EDIT, and you'll get there. Hang in there!

Julie Flanders said...

Yay for spider solitaire. One of my favorite distractions. I love Diane's advice!

Rachna Chhabria said...

I agree with Alex, you need a gentle shove, maybe a few gentle shoves to get you going.

Suze said...

Karen, I got chills again. Reading about your Light side in the shadows--just this sense that when she emerges, boy, watch out!

Karen Walker said...

Alex, I'm hoping for that shove from my writing coach this Thursday.
Diane, confession, I play may jongg too.
Liz, thanks
Julie, me, too
Rachna, hmmm.
Suze, your mouth to Her ears. Thank, sweetie

Suzanne Furness said...

It's all in there, Karen waiting to emerge triumphant from the shadows. Hope you find your way through those blockages really soon.

Suz Korb said...

But those are great distractions! I'm sort of taking a break too. It's necessary now and then.

Arlee Bird said...

Life's kinda crazy like that. Just when we get some confidence built up something comes along to knock us down to make us insecure again. Just so we don't stay down.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Robin said...

Fear lives in darkness. Shine a light on it!

P V Ariel said...

Don't worry the pull may come from all side :-)
face it boldly
You can overcome :-)
Thanks for sharing

Liz Fichera said...

I'm learning that when I get stuck like this that I have to do something completely different to "Etch-a-Sketch" shake my brain. So, I'm taking cooking lessons.

jaybird said...

Aw, Karen! I think we've all been in your spot. Best to take a little time out and clear your head. Sounds like you are doing that already, spending time with friends and just riding out the negative thoughts. When I feel like that I make it a point to go out and be a blessing to someone else; it helps take the focus off of oneself and hey, who doesn't know at least one person who needs to be blessed? :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

@ Karen - there are times in our life where we have to wait things out .. I'm glad you're out visiting seeing friends, going to movies .. and entertaining yourself quietly with the spiders!

I hope you'll be released soon - it'll happen - cheers Hilary

Pk Hrezo said...

Uh oh. Well at least you know you're not alone. SInce I uploaded my book to Amazon, I've had waves of nauseous insecurity. "What have I done??" lol
Sometimes the only way to get past it is to muddle our ways right thru it. ((hugs))