Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday Musings: ebooks

Saturday night I didn't feel well. I'd been out shopping all day for non-toxic cookware and there were some tough decisions to be made. I've had a cough and tickle in my throat for several months and every few hours get a coughing fit. My a-fib acted up for the first time in weeks. So I opted to stay home, rather than go folk dancing.

There was nothing I wanted to watch on TV. And although I have hundreds of books in my house, nothing appealed to me. I pulled out my Kindle, which I forget I have most of the time, and sigh, there was nothing on it that I wanted to read either.

But then I remembered I could go on the Kindle store and get a book. As soon as I clicked on Wi-fi and went to the store, there were recommendations for me by some of my favorite authors. I instantly chose one and within 10 seconds, I had a book to read and instantly got lost in it.

I'm telling you, talk about instant gratification. Now, I love bookstores and always will, but when you don't feel like getting up, getting dressed and driving somewhere, there's nothing like an ebook.

How about you?
Blessings
Karen

11 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

The convenience factor is exactly the reason that I ended up switching over to ebooks (well...primarily. I still get reference books in print). Love it!

So glad you found something good to read. Nothing beats a good book. :)

Jessica Bell said...

Funnily enough, I hardly ever purchase books from my Kindle. I use my Kindle for reading manuscripts more than anything else, as my physical TBR pile of paperbacks is always too irresistible. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you didn't feel up to dancing.
I like the ability to purchase and read any book I want at any time.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, yeah, I don't like getting reference books on the Kindle either, but I do have a few on mine.
Jess, I didn't either, till last night.
Alex, thanks. Me, too.

Arlee Bird said...

I still need to get an ereader someday as I'm still reading books on my computer and that's not very comfortable.

Another thing I like about the downloads is that there are so many great classics and older books that can be downloaded for free. Books that I might normally get from the library can now be easily accessed.

Lee
Wrote By Rote

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I have to say when I feel ill .. I just want to lay my head down and rest. Now I have a kindle ... should I get sick, but I won't will I!!!, then I'll have to see what I feel like ... I do prefer to buy books, but some of the Kindle ones are fine ...

I need to refer to books and then I need them floating around .. not on the Kindle!

I hope you feel easier by now - Hilary

Manzanita said...

I feel the same way. I much prefer books. It's so much easier to page through, underline, jog down notes. I always massacure my books. But, as you say, once in a while a kindle is just what I need.

Bish Denham said...

Ereaders and ebooks definitely have their place. And convenience is one. However there will always be REAL books on my nightstand waiting to be read!

LD Masterson said...

A problem with my Nook - if I let the battery run out (which I do all the time), it insists on being re-charged before I can use it, even if it's plugged in. I could drive to a bookstore and buy a book in less time than it takes that puppy to re-charge.

Karen Walker said...

Lee, that's true - good point!
Hilary, yes, I'm the same way, but on my Kindle I can highlight and underline and all that stuff.
Manzanita, that's right, once in awhile.
Bish, me, too, for sure
LD, oy!

Jemi Fraser said...

I love my kindle too! So easy to pick up a new fave! Hope you're feeling better :)