Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 4, 2013

Monday Musings: moving forward

Thank you all so much for your loving, kind comments on my last post. I so appreciate all of you.
After an initial depression, I am moving forward with extensive revisions to my manuscript. I will be working with writing coach extraordinaire, Mark David Gerson, whom I've worked with before. What I've discovered about myself, and as a result, about my writing, is that it's as if I am living my  life on a rainbow of one color. If I'm to move forward in my spiritual growth, and in my writing abilities, I need to open myself up to the other colors. It's the inner child in me who is terrified of this, because she had to navigate childhood and life on her own, with no guidance. The adult me knows I have the skills to do this and that there is nothing to be afraid of. A dear dear friend suggested I think about this next phase of my journey like a fairytale. As I set out, I will encounter and overcome obstacles, but in the end, I will "live happily ever after." That metaphor works for me, so here I go into the land of "once upon a time..." and imagine a whole new world, just like Dorothy in the  Wizard of Oz, going from black and white into a world of color.

How about you? Are you living in a world of color, or stuck on one?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

So glad things are looking up! I know your revisions will go great...and glad you have someone so helpful to work with.

I think I do get stuck...but probably with 2 or 3 colors. I need to push beyond them!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Is black a color?
Glad you are bravely moving forward, Karen!

BECKY said...

Hi Karen! I'm not sure how I found your blog, but I'm glad I did. I read your previous post, too, and I'm so sorry you are going through all this. In this post, though, you do sound like a very strong person, and a survivor, so I know you can do whatever you put your mind to. Best of luck with your revisions, etc. I grew up in a black&white world (1950s TV shows!) but I'm definitely living in color now! Hugs!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Enter that world of color, Karen. It's beautiful on the other side.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, I'd settle for 2 or 3 colors right now.
Alex, not sure - it's not on the rainbow.
Becky, glad you found me - thank you!
Diane, I can't wait!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I really love your introspection here Karen. Truly. I believe this will serve you well on your road to happiness :)

BECKY said...

Hey Karen! I clicked on your Follower thingy and it shows me right above all the other 611, and won't seem to actually add me and make your followers 612. I've never had this happen before. Help! (And BTW, thank you so much for becoming my new follower!)

Tonja said...

That's great you have a writing coach.

Karen Walker said...

Optimistic, thank you - I certainly hope so.
Becky, Oy, have no clue what's wrong. Sorry.
tonja, yes, it makes a huge difference

BECKY said...

Hey, I just clicked on Stop Following, and clicked on Follow, and this time it worked!!

Suze said...

'What I've discovered about myself, and as a result, about my writing, is that it's as if I am living my life on a rainbow of one color. If I'm to move forward in my spiritual growth, and in my writing abilities, I need to open myself up to the other colors.'

Karen, wow! I got sustained chills absorbing that concept!

Claudia Moser said...

Sometimes just moving brings you forward. I am at the moment at a crossing and puzzled, I do not know which way to go!

Misha Gericke said...

I'd like to think I'm living in a world of color. Anyway, it's a lot more colorful than it used to be.

Best of luck with revisions and all your health issues. I'm praying for you.

Karen Walker said...

Becky, that's great - thank you!
Suze, me, too thanks
Claudia, it will come - just breathe!
Misha, thank you so much

Tracy Jo said...

Great post! You got this and will find the pot of gold at the end. :-) As I always say, I love stopping by...you are very inspiring.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen, I wrote pretty much on my own for decades and the last few years I've made the joyous discovery that WRITING IS BEST DONE AS A TEAM SPORT. I'm learning to receive input as well as give.

You have a great team here on your blog, and I know you know lots of writers you can depend on personally. Mark David is your main coach, coordinating all this input with you.

Welcome to the Wide World of Color. May you enter with awe rather than trepidation. You are not alone. We are there with you, holding you up so you can float on that rainbow and become entirely whole.