Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Blogfests

I made a decision a while back not to participate in any blogfests except the Insecure Writers Support Group's monthly meeting. That decision was made for one major reason - time. I only want to spend perhaps an hour on the internet stuff and I don't even want to do that daily. I am someone who needs perhaps more down time than other folks. Plus there's the writing and singing, which take up a good amount of time. Factor in my hubby, the household chores, and friends, and well, there you have it. So I pick and choose very carefully how my time will be spent.

But here's the thing. If you're a writer and you are writing a book and at some point your book gets published, how are you to find readers? Through social media, in addition to speaking engagements and all the other promotional activities we can do. My blog has remained pretty static in the number of followers. And the only way I know to increase readership of a blog is to participate in blogfests.

How do you all feel about this issue? Curious minds want to know...

Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

L.G. Smith said...

I stay away from most of them anymore. I do maybe three or four blogfests a year, and only the ones put on by people I've known awhile. Usually it's for book promotion. Otherwise, some of the stuff that goes around is just distraction from the writing, and I don't need more of that. I'm full up on that. :P

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I don't participate in many blogfests. It IS a great way to pick up a bunch of new followers, but if they never ever return to your blog again, what's the point? I believe blogging (and other social media) is a good way to hone relationships with other people and potentially attract readers for our books, but it takes a LOT of time and effort. I struggle with that mightily. I worry that if I back off of blogging to devote more time to writing, when I finish (IF I finish) my next book, I'd have to start all over again to connect with those people I feel a connection with now. It's a real balancing act, and unfortunately, I'm a big klutz.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I have never participated in a blogfests myself but that's only because there's so many of them always going on that it confuses me LOL

LD Masterson said...

I rarely do them for the same reason - time. When I have, I usually pick up a few new "followers" but even fewer, if any, become regular visitors.

Karen Walker said...

L.G., Susan, Optimistic, LD, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Not sure if this was an off day on the internet or this hit a nerve, but fewer comments than most other days for me.

Liz Blocker said...

I think it's a solid decision. I've participated in one or two to bring new readers in, and get to know new blogs, but mostly I just post regular content.

Crystal Collier said...

Blogfests and hops are really great for building a readership, but only if you're consistently engaging with those readers. No one is going to come back to your blog again and again if they don't feel like the effort to rub shoulders is one sided.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I'm not a fan either. I don't even participate in the ISWG any longer. The one I do enjoy is the A to Z Challenge. That one always garners a bunch of new followers and I've also discovered some wonderful blogs and made new friends through it. Not sure I'll participate this year tho. I'll wait and see. Overall, I'd say choose your blogfests wisely and maximize the ones you do participate in. Go to the sign up sheet and go visit new blogs, leave comments, introduce yourself.

Pk Hrezo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pk Hrezo said...

Hi Karen! Blogfests are a surefire way to increase your followers. And I totally understand not doing them. I have to be extremely selective these days cuz of time restraints. But they're also a ton of fun. Maybe you could do one a month or something. Of course, you don't have to. Simply visiting the blogs participating and following and commenting will prolly earn you some more followers.

BTW in answer to your question on my blog, yes I still have an agent. She's working with me on another project.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I'll do the odd blogfest - but usually not an author one ... I'm happy to join in occasionally - but like you I'll do one or two ..

.. but I enjoy reading some of the ISWG posts .. cheers Hilary

Liz Fichera said...

I had to step away from blogfests a couple of years ago. I might participate in one per year. They are way too time-consuming. I'd rather connect with people, one at a time. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but that's me.

Arlee Bird said...

I know what you're saying. I don't join as many like I used to, but sometimes I find one that I just can't resist. I have cut way back on blog visiting and commenting, though I still do a considerable amount I suppose.

We do have one blog event coming in January that I do hope you and many others will participate in. I think many will find it very useful. Be watching for an announcement in a few weeks.

Lee
Tossing It Out