Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: what to do if you don't like violence?

I'm finding it harder and harder to find a movie or a television show (other than sitcoms) that isn't violent. I discovered a few years ago that when I watch violence, or really dark stories, they stay with me, as if the energy has seeped into my consciousness. I really don't want that kind of energy inside me, so I chose not to see them.

I used to love going to the movies, especially on Friday nights. It was such a great way to end the work week and get into the weekend mentality. But I am somewhat hesitant to go, unless it's a romantic comedy or a love story. I don't want to be surprised by some unwanted something that will stay with me.

I'm not saying I'm a Pollyanna who only wants light, positive things. I don't live in a world of fairytales. I know there are bad people and dark things happening in the world. It's just that there's enough of it in reality that I don't want it in fantasy.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Growing up on superhero comic books, I guess I'm used to it.
Animated movies aren't usually violent. At least that's an alternative to romantic comedies.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Many of the good dramas are violence-free if you like those kind of stories. But you're right it is harder and harder to find movies without violence these days.

L.G. Smith said...

I'm okay with violence in movies if it's not horror or gore. Often times they just go too far though.

A movie I recently saw that you might like is Kon Tiki. Thought it was very good. Lots of tension (for me, because I'm terrified of water and sharks), but not really any significant violence.

BECKY said...

Hi Karen! I loved going to the movies when I was A LOT younger! I could afford it, for one thing, and there always seemed to be plenty of "good" movies to see: comedies, romantic comedies, dramas, and...one of my favorites: musicals! The entire industry has changed. It seems like there's either violent/action films, comedies that aren't funny, a drama or two....and about 99% of them are full of explicit language, and/or sex. I'll stay home and watch PBS, or Netflix, etc., and be comfy and save money! I'm sorry, too, that going to "the show" or "the movies" just isn't what it used to be....

Karen Walker said...

Alex, animation is a great idea - thanks
Optimistic, yes, I love a good drama.
LG, I'm terrified of water and sharks, too. Sigh!

Karen Walker said...

Becky, I feel your pain.

Bish Denham said...

Violence and sex for the sake of violence and sex has gotten a bit out of hand in my mind. I think it could lead to a kind of numbing and lack of compassion to real pain and violence. I also get annoyed with movies where every other word is a cuss word. I don't get it, why?

Where is the cutting wit of Oscar Wilde when you it? It's certainly not with most script writers...

Karen Walker said...

Bish, Amen!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I agree with you. Sure, I know there are terrible things in the world. No point in pretending they don't exist, but that doesn't mean I want my nose rubbed in it. I prefer shows that teach me, uplift me and/or make me laugh.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I don't mind violence if it's done in the right setting. Chucking in violence or even sex without a reason for it to be is a turnoff to me. I don't need to hear broken bones in fight scenes. Fight scenes have there place in a story or a movie.

What sticks in an unwelcome way, is horror flicks and off the charts cruelty to human or animal. Ugh and like you, I choose not to put those types of things in my mind.

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Violence doesn't typically bother me, particularly if it's "equal". That is, two people fighting each other, especially in a heightened, fantasy level of fight choreography.

But I do understand how you feel. Violence towards children, or sexual violence of any kind, really unsettles me. I can still enjoy movies and books that include it, but it does leave me feeling uncomfortable.

Karen Walker said...

Susan, nice to know others feel similarly.
Sia, yeah, horror flicks really do me in.
Paul, I think maybe (hope I'm not sexist here) men are a wee bit more comfortable with fighting. The novel I am writing has a rape scene and it took me months to write it and more months to come back and deal with the aftermath.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I'm glad I've never felt the need to include a rape scene in anything I've written. I'm not sure how well I would cope with writing one.

Karen Walker said...

Paul, how I wish it weren't a significant factor in my story line, believe me.

LD Masterson said...

I can handle most of the violence but rape scenes or any kind of violence against children (or animals) will send me out of the theater.

Arlee Bird said...

I guess I'm more concerned with an abundance of raw foul language. I don't mind some violence, but I do like some kind of message of good to come in the end.

Since my wife doesn't like movies with a lot of dialog (perhaps because English is her second language) and she doesn't seem to care that much for comedies or musicals, we tend to watch a lot of action movies since that's what she prefers and what keeps her awake. With action you usually get violence. So if she and I watch a film together that's what we typically watch. When I watch a film by myself it's often a dialog laden film of an introspective nature or a documentary.

It works for us because I enjoy both. But I know what you're saying. Some movies have very disturbing themes that hang in the mind like a bothersome guest you want to go home.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Carole Anne Carr said...

Don't like anything dark in fantasy for grown-ups, so don't make my children's fantasy too scary.

Gina Gao said...

I have to agree with you on this one! There have been more and more shows lately that has violence in them.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Sarah Allen said...

I definitely see your point. This is why one of my all-time favorite shows is Frasier :)

Sarah Allen
(From Sarah, with Joy)