Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group - December

Once again, thank you Alex for this opportunity to share our writing progress the first Wednesday of each month in a forum with other writers who totally understand both our angst and our joy. If there is still anyone on the planet who blogs and doesn't know Alex, you can find him here: http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com.






My writing is going well. I am working with writing coach extraordinaire, Mark David Gersonhttp://markdavidmuse.blogspot.com. He has recorded meditations to help me connect with my characters. Not only am I connecting with my characters, I am connecting more with me. Writing has always helped me make sense of my life, but this part of my journey, it is healing me in ways I didn't think possible (see yesterday's post).

I woke up Monday morning writing in my head. I had to scramble for a piece of paper to get the thoughts down before they disappeared. I'm thinking of a series of essays, rather than a full-length memoir, inspired by Dani Shapiro's brilliant book, Still Writing. If I do decide to pursue this idea, I just might post the essays here as they come. See what you guys think.

Anyway, here's to all of you Still Writing, I hope. That is, if that's what you want to be doing.
Blessings,
Karen


29 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Love that you woke up writing! And so glad that the writing is helping you heal. Looking forward to your essays.

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

I love days like that when the words are ready before you are. Good luck.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Keep connecting and keep writing!

Cathrina Constantine said...

Perseverance is the writer's creed. Keep up the good work.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Keep writing whatever comes to you.

And I've woken up like that before.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, oh dear, now I have to write them!!
Wendy, me, too - thanks
Alex, will do
Cathrina, love that - thank you
Diane, absolutely will do

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

It's great when you are so full of writing that you can barely wait to get it down on the page. Good luck with the essays.

Nissa Annakindt said...

I like the idea of writing things down when you wake up with an idea. I've started a literary journal in a beautiful blank-book I started using a couple years ago for something else, and yesterday I copied down a short story idea that I had in the early-morning, half-asleep hours. I don't know if I will use it, but at least it's there for me.

Nissa

Karen Walker said...

Pat, thank you so much. It's fun to be excited about writing again.
Nissa, yes, preserving the ideas is important. I am finding that sometimes the ideas are messages for my personal growth and not necessarily something I need to make publishable.

S.K. Anthony said...

I've had to rush out of bed to get those ideas written down before as well! Keep the writing going and best of luck ;)

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Karen,

Sounds like things are going well for you. I hope your inspiration continues.

Julie Flanders said...

I love the essay idea and it would be a real treat to have the chance to read them here. Glad you're having such a great experience with the coach, Karen. It's amazing the impact writing can have.

Karen Walker said...

SK, I've put a small pad and pen on my nightstand. The trick is how to write in the dark so I don't wake hubby.
JL, thanks, me too!
Julie, he's a real gift, so intuitive. I'm very blessed he's here in Albuquerque.

Diane Burton said...

That's marvelous, Karen. Keep writing.

David List said...

I love when words come to me. I've begun catching them with the notepad on my phone. It's very handy!

LD Masterson said...

Keep that pen and paper close by. You never know when the words will still flowing.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Loved your meditation process with your characters, I don't do enough of this, it obviously works.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love to wake up writing but tend to head for the coffee pot before I put pen to paper (or hands to keybaord_. Good for you that you scramble to get things written down.

Kim Lajevardi said...

Mornings are a great time to write. Good luck with your writing.

Great IWSG post!

Jemi Fraser said...

Waking up with writing ideas is fantastic!!! :)

Peter Nnajiofor said...

Hello Karen. It’s nice to know your writing is going well. The year is coming to an end and just as it is important for us to take stock of our goals and resolutions at the beginning of the year, it is equally important that we’re not too hard on ourselves for goals not met and realize that there’s a fresh new year out there for the taking. As I say on my blog, there’s a giant in you and me!

Karen Walker said...

Diane, that's the intention - thanks
LD, there's a pad and pen wherever I go these days
Carole Anne, it's sure working for me
Patricia, lucky for me, I don't drink coffee - can't handle the caffeine
Kim, I am definitely a morning person
Jemi, yes it is - thanks
Peter, I love that image - thanks

Pk Hrezo said...

That's great Karen! And I love it that you're waking up inspired!!

Rusty Carl said...

You woke up jotting down your ideas. That is awesome. I tend to get my best ideas in my half-asleep time when I'm dozing off or waking up, but I rarely write them down (because I'm so sleepy), but I remember the ones I can.

Misha Gericke said...

Sounds like you're on a roll! Best of luck with your writing. :-)

Jeremy Bates said...

glad u got your thoughts down, karen!
i've woken sometimes, thought i had a great idea, but couldn't remember it! lol

jeremy

BECKY said...

I try to have notepads and pens/pencils all around the house, and in my purse, and in the car, etc.etc. And still it seems like I mostly jot down my thoughts on an envelope or receipt, etc!! I never thought to use my cell phone for that, like David List suggested. Great idea! PLUS, Karen...you'll probably love this....I just now ordered an Aqua Notes waterproof notepad for the shower!! I'm not kidding!! :)

Yvonne's Poetry Blog said...

Hi Karen, have just been talked into keep blogging, Glad your writing is going well.

I have signed on as a follower but when you click on my avatar it says my blog don't exist.....well it does. The link to my blog is:
salew98.blogspot.co.uk

Hope you are keeping well and looking forward to the festive season.
Yvonne.

Karen Walker said...

Pk, it doesn't happen every day, but I'm so grateful when it does.
Rusty, makes me laugh
Misha, thanks
Jeremy, that's me most of the time as well
Becky, that's hilarious
Yvonne, glad to hear that