Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, December 16, 2013

Monday Musings: slowing down

There's something to be said for slowing down. I've had no choice - I have no energy. Even so, I am finding peace in this journey towards healing my body. It's mid-December and I can now accept that the holidays are here. I know, I know, Thanksgiving has already come and gone, but I couldn't wrap my head around that one. Hannukah has come and gone as well. I much prefer it when it comes right along with Christmas and I can light both the candles and the lights. I love Christmas lights. One of my favorite things during this season is to ride around the neighborhood looking at the lights. In Albuquerque, different neighbors light luminaries. If you don't know what that is (I didn't before I moved here) it is small brown bags filled with sand and a lit candle. On Christmas Eve many houses decorate their yards with luminaries and it is quite beautiful. Friends walk along singing Christmas carols. In Old Town, merchants hand out hot apple cider for free.

As I try to move my body back to wholeness, my Spirit is beginning to soar, releasing negativity, healing old wounds, and shifting into gratefulness rather than fear.

Here's wishing you the opportunity to slow down in the midst of the holiday madness and joy.
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds lovely in Albuquerque! Glad you've got an opportunity to rest and enjoy and hope you're better soon.

And I hope I'm able to slow down a little soon, too!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love driving around and looking at Christmas lights in random neighborhoods! I always find such joy in that :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just slow down and enjoy the lights and the season. We had luminaries in Arizona as well.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, it is lovely here - and I hope you find a way to slow down as well - it's good for the soul.
Optimistic, yes, it does bring joy, doesn't it?
Alex, didn't know we used to be "neighbors."

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I miss the luminaries. Some of our neighbors put them on their rooftop. I always wanted to see them in Old Town, but we never went down there in December.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I do that too--drive around and look at lights!

Karen Walker said...

Diane, why don't you and Craig come for a visit?
Jennifer, it's fun, isn't it?

Pk Hrezo said...

That's wonderful to hear, Karen! Taking care of our spirits is just as important as nurturing our bodies. I like to find pleasure in the little things, and it helps keep me grounded.

Jemi Fraser said...

We do luminaries during the summer with our relays and runs for cancer - I've never heard of them being lit for Christmas time. Sounds lovely. Hope you enjoy a slow and easy peaceful season! *hugs*

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I can't remember when I last really took things slowly. Must be well over a year and a half...

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. good for you - following your needs. Some people put on such an amazing show at Christmas - well worth looking around all the Christmas lights - but those in the old town sound just wonderful to look at.

A cuddle under a blankie is a fine idea to end of the day off .. enjoy! Cheers Hilary