Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday Musings: stress free Thanksgiving

Hope everyone had a good holiday and enjoyed family, friends and great food. We had probably the most stress-free Thanksgiving ever. We weren't able to get together with any family members this year for a variety of reasons, so we invited our friend's parents, who are in their mid-eighties, to spend the day with us. We were responsible for the turkey, stuffing, sweet potato casserole and pie. They brought mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and wine.

I decided not the stuff the bird this year, so I could make the stuffing the day before. Made it so much easier doing it that way. Then Thursday morning, all I had to do was put together the casserole, make the salad (sans the dressing, of course,) and hubby made the pecan pie.

When it was a time to eat, we simply had to put three dishes in the oven for 15 minutes and voila, our meal was ready. I used to fret so about things coming out together at the same time. I used to hate doing all the dishes. Actually I used to hate cooking. But something's happened and I am enjoying the preparation and the clean up of food. I think I've moved beyond living my life on one color of the rainbow.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

9 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Wow - a stress-free Thanksgiving is a rare thing these days. I hope to experience that one day LOL

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's supposed to be a relaxing day! No need to stress over the food.

Jack said...

I love Thanksgiving, but I hate cookiing. Yours sounds perfect all the way around! Glad to hear it went so well and you had a nice time!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

A stress free Thanksgiving sounds wonderful. I don't cook for it anymore because we walk across the street to our friends' house and enjoy the day with them. All I have to bring are veggies, snacks, and dip.

Karen Walker said...

Optimistic, I hope you do
Alex, it may be that it's supposed to be, but everyone I know stresses over it. It's a lot of work!
Jack, till now, I've hated cooking as well.
Diane, that sounds so lovely.

Mary Clark said...

It was a conscious decision this year to keep things simple. I didn't try any new recipes and used well worn ones instead. Friends and family filled in the blanks. It all worked even with two babies and a three year old. Flexibility is the key.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Oh, I don't enjoy cooking either! But I love taking shortcuts or supplementing some homemade food with some deli substitutions. I love that your Thanksgiving was so stress-free! Ours was too...pre-cooked turkey!

Karen Walker said...

Mary, good for you
Elizabeth, I'm so glad. Hmm, pre-cooked turkey. Must look into that next time.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it's so good to adjust and make our lives less stressed, which at least we can do more easily in this day and age. That's great and I'm sure you felt like you'd been thanked for the day ...

Good luck too with your rounded character - sounds like that dream was a dream come true for you ...

Enjoy your writing and December as it rolls by .. cheers Hilary