Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year

Each year I do an exercise I discovered back in the 1970's. It was created by someone named Lakein -   I don't remember the whole name or the book it came from but it goes like this:
Set a timer for 3 minutes and write without thinking your lifetime goals.
Set a timer for 3 minutes and write without thinking your three-year goals
Set a timer for 3 minutes and write without thinking your goals if you only had six months to live.

It never fails to help me get my priorities straight. In previous years, travel always showed up, even on the six months to live list. I guess I've seen pretty much all of the things my soul needed me to see, because what showed up this time more than anything - and it showed up on all three lists, was to finish my novel. And some other writing projects that have been on the back burner. And some connecting with family members. But what I came away with is that writing this book is my sacred journey right now and I need to make it the priority my subconscious is telling me it is.

I wish I knew why the thing that is most important to my soul is the hardest thing I've ever attempted. But it is what it is and I will do what I need to do and, as with so many other things I've accomplished in my life, this one will get done, too.

Here's wishing you the tenaciousness and willingness and strength to do what you need to do for the coming year to fulfill your heart's desires.

Blessings
Karen

20 comments:

Misha Gericke said...

I know what you mean. Writing is my heart's desire and it makes me happy. But DANG sometimes it's just so hard to do!

Have a blessed 2014!

writing for pleasure said...

A great thought provoking post Karen.
Happy New Year to you and family.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's making you stretch into a better person, that's why!
Happy New Year, Karen.

Mason Canyon said...

What an inspiring exercise, Karen. That would make you stop and think about what really matters. I know you'll accomplish this task. Wishing you and your family a safe and Happy New Year.

Karen Walker said...

Misha, I guess we could say who said life was supposed to be easy?
writing for pleasure, thank you - you too
Alex, how far can one person stretch without snapping?
Mason, thanks, I find it very helpful - same to you and yours

mooderino said...

I spread myself a bit thin this year. Will try to focus on one thing at a time in 2014.

mood
Moody Writing

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. very good luck with getting started - I'm sure that's the first hurdle! Go for it this year - I'm sure you'll achieve what your subconscious is directing to you towards ..

Happy New Year .. all the best Hilary

Suze said...

'as with so many other things I've accomplished in my life, this one will get done, too.'

I have a lot of respect for you, Karen. Sending you wishes for a fulfilled 2014--a year of tenacity and accomplishment with which you will find deep, personal satisfaction.

Karen Walker said...

Mooderino, that is such a great goal
Hilary, thanks my dear. May you receive all you want and need in this coming year
Suze, thank you so much-that means so much to me. You too, Suze.

Manzanita said...

A marvelous evening to wrote out one's goals. Is Sugar Time performing this evening? That has been one goal you have realized to make happen.
Wishing you peace and love for the new year.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Manzanita - you, too. Sugartime sang one song in the Talent Show our folk dance community has each year at the New Year's Party. We have a potluck, talent show, then dance till midnight. It was a lovely evening.

jaybird said...

Happy 2014! May you achieve all of your goals this year, big or small. :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Karen, I love this method of coming up with goals and what's important to us...thanks for sharing this.

You've inspired me, also, to build in some time for relaxation and living in the moment this year. Of course, being me, I had to have technology to help me! But I found free apps on my phone and computer that guide through meditation (for various lengths of time)...very helpful.

Happy 2014!

Karen Walker said...

jaybird, thanks - you, too!
Elizabeth - glad you like it - it's always been powerful for me. Your comment made me laugh out loud!

Jemi Fraser said...

Love that exercise!! Most worthwhile things are tough aren't they? You'll get there! All the best to you and yours for 2014!!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I haven't even had a chance to assess my yearly goals yet, but I did make a detailed list for this month. Few match up with what I would really want to do though.

Pearson Report said...

Hi Karen,

What a great mental exercise - I'm going to attempt it today.

I hope the New Year has started peacefully, may joy and happiness fill your days.

Hugs, Jenny

Karen Walker said...

Jemi, thanks for the encouragement - best to you and yours as well
Diane, yes, that's why this exercise is so powerful - it helps get priorities straight
Jenny, hope it's useful - and same back to you

Tracy Jo said...

What a great exercise. I'm going to try this today. Also, I hear you about writing. Sometimes, I think that I'm not finishing mine because I'm still living it out but not sure...other times, I think I'm just scared to face the paper. Darn fear. Wishing you the best in finishing yours and happy, happy new year to you!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Wonderful post! I think you brought some good things to light. I think I'm a bit scared of refinishing my novel and sending it back to the agent who gave me an R & R. What if she doesn't like the new ending? What if I have wasted all this time? What if she does like it? Then what?

Hope you have a healthy and happy 2014!