Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: rounded versus flat characters

During a meditation exercise to connect more deeply with my characters, the main male figure paid me a visit. The things I learned about him helped me understand why he is the way he is in my story, thus shifting him from a flat character to a round one.

The next morning, I woke up at 4 am, bolted up to a seating position with this amazing insight. Up until now, I have only seen my flaws. If I wake up in the morning with a zit, I focus on it all day. If I gain weight, same thing. I never really understood why my husband fell in love with me, because all I see are the character defects. How the heck could I write rounded characters when I couldn't see myself as one. I've made myself wrong my whole life.

This realization has literally changed my life. My entire perspective shifted. I feel as if I am on a tilter whirl. It is also helping me see others in my life as rounded as well, thus making me less judgmental.

Even if nothing ever happens with this manuscript I am writing, it doesn't matter. The writing of it is my spiritual journey and my spiritual journey is the writing.

Blessings,
Karen

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's who we become on the journey - and you just became a well rounded person! Awesome realization, Karen. The positives and the negatives together are what make each one of us unique.

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Very best of luck on your journey. I always aim for well rounded characters who have flaws as well as redeeming features but it isn't easy to always get the balance right.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, thanks for the support.
Pat, thanks - I get it now!

Manzanita said...

Four in the morning is a great time to make these revelations. I wake up around 4, too but I usually go to bed with the birds, so to speak. Isn't it odd that we can live with ourselves all our life and still discover new things about us. Ha

Sharon Lippincott said...

Beyond awesome Karen. The longer I write, the more convinced I become that process is far more important than product.

The word FULL comes to mind that's connected with "round" characters. I get the sense that your male character has been inflated through the process of inspiration from a nondescript flat entity to a vibrant, three-dimensional (round) person with energy, passion and power.

You sound inspired yourself in the root sense of the word: breathing in life. So happy for you that you've had this landmark moment. What a gift!

BECKY said...

Karen, this is so beautiful. I, too, feel my writing is both a journey and spiritual, together. It's such a self-discovery, isn't it??