Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: there's a reason I'm so lethargic

I've been waiting for an appointment with a different physician for weeks. I had extensive lab work and several heart monitoring tests and yesterday I got the results. Basically, I have adrenal fatigue, extremely low thyroid functioning and my metabolism is pretty much non-existent. It's why I've been so lethargic, no energy, tired all the time and quite a bit mentally confused. At least I know I'm not losing my mind.  My heart has to work much harder to accomplish what it's supposed to accomplish.
Treatment is commencing immediately and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this protocol works, because the thyroid meds I've been on for 9 months did diddelysquat.

The good news is the doc said he doesn't see arteries as good as mine on 40 year-olds. And my meditations with my characters are going well. Guess I can see this as a real positive. Since I don't have energy for much else, I do have the energy to sit and meditate.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm so glad they got to the bottom of it, Karen! Hope the new meds work well. And glad to hear the rest of the report was so good.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At least they know what it is and can hopefully give you thyroid medication that works. And way to keep those arteries in shape!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Yes at least that's good news about your arteries! I am glad they figured out what's wrong Karen.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, thanks so much
Alex, keeping fingers crossed.
Optimistic, thank you for your encouraging words

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Having a proper diagnosis is a HUGE step. Here's hoping the new meds have you bouncing back in no time at all. (You've got some singing and dancing to do, young lady!)

D.G. Hudson said...

Good Luck, Karen. Hang in there. We battled with hubs sickness for a year and a half before they did tests on his gall bladder. Once we knew what the main problem was, they treated it, and he's back to himself, he just can't eat whatever he wants (he has to eat like me-healthy).

Take care of yourself, and remember that Ghandi did a lot of meditating, too.

Suzanne Furness said...

Knowing what's behind your illness must be a relief, at least you can start to treat it. Sending you warmest wishes and hope you soon feel stronger.

Mason Canyon said...

Finding out why you're feeling the way you do is the first step. Hopefully with the doctor's help you'll be feeling great in no time. Having time to mediate is always good. Hope you have a wonderful week.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. well if you're as healthy as that .. sounds like a good festive rest may well solve a lot of problems ..

Hope so and 2014 can be easier healthwise for you .. mind you you keep on doing lots of things .. enjoy those too .. cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Susan, yeah, those are the things I was afraid I'd never do again.
D.G. sounds like it was a blessing in disguise
Suzanne, thank you so much
Mason, thanks, you too!
Hilary, at least my arteries are healthy, LOL. thanks bunches

Julie Flanders said...

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this but glad that at least you now have an answer and that treatment will begin. I will be thinking of you and hoping that the new meds work and make a big difference for you.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

That sounds rough. But at least you have a proper diagnosis now and can get treatment.

Sharon Lippincott said...

There's a reason they refer to medicine as a "practice." Just be glad surgeons "perform" surgery (and hope they never need to do so on you). Hope you perk right up with these new pills, but hey -- meditations with your characters sound GREAT!

Susanne Drazic said...

Now that you have a diagnosis, I hope your recovery will be a speedy one.

Manzanita said...

Thyroids can be a pain in the butt. Mine too. They can switch from hypo to hyper or vice versa very quickly . Always a struggle to get it regulated. Hope you find the right meds.

Suze said...

Karen, have you noticed how everything is cyclical? Or, at least impermanent. Your arteries are in fine shape. I've been thinking about this a-fib situation and what I believe is that, sometimes, medics give mysteries names and then assign drugs to them, because that's all they can do.

You have a lot of power in your person, K. I hope the time you set aside to meditate will result in boundless blessing.

Tonja said...

I sincerely hope you feel better soon. Hugs.