Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group - January 2014

This is the first entry for the new year and I'd like to begin by once again thanking Alex J. Cavanaugh www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for creating this wonderful group. It has grown into a loving, caring and supportive community of writers who are willing to help one another through what, I think, is one of the most difficult journeys one can undertake - writing a book.




Did this year go by really really fast for anyone else? It seems, the older I get, the faster time goes. Here's wishing that 2014 is the year I finish my very first novel. The whisper came to me in 2009 that began this odyssey. As with every other difficult journey in my life, I went through this one kicking and screaming all the way. Why me? I can't do this. I quit, yada yada yada. But I am nothing if not tenacious. And I persevere, whether or not I should is another story.

I'm not sure how long this next phase of my writing will take, but my plan is to work on it as much as I can each day. Does anyone else get emotionally drained from writing? Or maybe it's just the physical challenges I have going on causing that particular result. Whatever it may be, I am going to trust that once I set the intention, which I am doing with this post, to summon the energy, focus, attention, and love that is required to complete this manuscript this year, that it will come to be.

What are your intentions for this coming year?
Blessings,
Karen

32 comments:

Donna Shields said...

Yes, at times, I feel the emotional drainage from writing. My goals for 2014 are finishing books 2 and 3 of my paranormal series and a paranormal novella.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It is emotionally draining, especially if you are really involved in your story and your characters. You go through what they go through. (And sometimes your husband looks at you funny because you are writing and crying.)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

The years are going by so fast! Best wishes to you for 2014...I have a feeling that novel is going to be done quicker than you think. You've done such a great job staying on task with it.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

2013 went by SUPER fast. Wow. And I sincerely hope you finish your very first novel this year :)

Brandon Ax said...

It did go by fast, but I was so busy for most of it. Good luck with your novel, you can do it.

Manzanita said...

Life has begun spinning faster and faster for most of us. So little time and so much to do. You have good determination. You do it, girl.

Tonja said...

I get drained from NOT writing.

I didn't realize you finished your novel. That's awesome!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not so much drained as frustrated, but I just work through it. I know you will as well.

Rachna Chhabria said...

2013 flew past real fast. Here is hoping you finish your first novel this year.

Karen Walker said...

Donna, so nice to know I'm not alone.
Diane, LOL, my husband is so used to be being emotional he probably wouldn't notice
Elizabeth, I guess you're right - hmmm
Optimistic, thanks, keeping fingers crossed
Brandon, thank you
Manzanita, yes, darn it - I will!
Tonja, me, too!
Alex, you're a good role model
Rachna, thanks so much

Deborah Osborne said...

Hi Karen

I'm hoping this year is the year I finish my first novel too. Although I still haven't made up my mind what I consider 'finished' to mean.

2013 did go by so fast, although the run up to Christmas felt like it lasted forever this year.

Good luck with the novel.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Writing is always like a roller coaster for me.

Just breathe through it and keep writing.

Heather

Robin said...

I intend to finish my WIP this year, too. That way I can move on to the editing phase. I am already aware of some editing changes - and I am not even done yet - so I am sure that it will be a big project.

I am sure that you will finish yours this year, too. I think 2014 is going to be a good year!!!

writing for pleasure said...

Happy New Year Karen and good luck with your novel.

Yvonne.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Writing leaves me mentally drained. It's hard work, though, my hubby doesn't think of it that way. Good Luck and much success in finishing your novel in 2014!

Suzanne Furness said...

Yes it can be draining at times and hard to keep going but for me the thought of stopping is more scary! I wish you the very best of luck with your writing this year.

M. J. Joachim said...

Good writing takes time. You can do it!

As for my intentions - I just want to go with the flow, and not take myself too seriously :)

Tracy Jo said...

I get emotional drained too from writing. Partly because it brings up so much of the past for me. This year, I hope to write so much more and to let my creativity be free. I want to stop overthinking and just do it! Wishing you the best in 2014!

Tracy Jo said...

I get emotional drained too from writing. Partly because it brings up so much of the past for me. This year, I hope to write so much more and to let my creativity be free. I want to stop overthinking and just do it! Wishing you the best in 2014!

Patsy said...

Good luck with the novel. It can be done.

Cherie Colyer said...

I don't think it's uncommon to get emotionally drained from time to time. Good luck with your novel. You can get it done.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks everyone for the comments and well wishes. I've been out most of day at doc appointments, but will catch up with everyone tomorrow.

BTW, can anyone tell me how to find the actual blogs on Google + - if you comment here and are on Google + I have not been able to reciprocate because I can't find you. HELP!

Bish Denham said...

I definitely can get emotionally drained from writing, particularly when I have to do a lot of pacing to work out a scene. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Pouring out your heart, soul & energy onto paper IS exhausting ... and exhilarating! At least that's the way I find it. It's almost like a roller coaster ride except you can't see when the curves and loops and double backs are coming. Enjoy a fabulous year!

Misha Gericke said...

I do get emotionally exhausted from writing. Not always, but if I have to write a difficult scene, or something with very strong emotions, it drains me.

Good luck with your goals this year. :-)

LD Masterson said...

Sadly, too many of my goals for 2014 are undone carryovers from 2013. Maybe this year.

Best of luck with yours.

Mason T. Matchak said...

It's not just you, trust me - I feel not only emotionally but physically drained from writing. Some days, it's all I can do to drag myself out of my chair when I'm done. But it's totally worth it. ^_^ Here's hoping that you see your novel's end this year, and that you're able to make it everything you want it to be.

Deborah Osborne said...

I found my blog link on the my google + 'about' page - unhelpfully the link takes you to the 'posts' page first so you have to change tabs, and the blog link is right down the bottom under 'links' though!

Hope that helps if you haven't done it yet.

Karen Walker said...

Bish, thanks for the feedback
Jemi, yup that about describes it!
Misha, thanks
LD, hopefully your health will cooperate!
Mason, thank you so so much
Deborah, I'm not on Google + but people who comment are. I'll try to follow your directions. Thank you.

J. A. Bennett said...

One day at a time is the best way to do it! You'll get there :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I can believe you'd be totally involved with your books - it's the kind of self-involvement that does and should drain you. I admire that you can go that route .. but then your stories will help so many others along similar very challenging journeys ..

It's great you're keeping on with it .. and I'm sure you'll finish it and get it published ..

All the very best - Hilary

readfaced said...

It does seem like time has sped up. I just got used to writing 2013 on my checks and now I have to start all over again.

Good luck with your writing goals!

Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com )