Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday Musings: Am I a hermit?

Am I a hermit? I prefer being home by myself writing, reading, singing, playing games. I can only handle crowds for a short amount of time and then I want to run home. I make plans to get together with friends and when the time comes to go, I'd rather stay home. It's odd, because once I get where I'm going, I usually have a good time. But the impulse is to stay away. Even by myself, I will make plans to take myself shopping and to a movie. Well, by the time I spend an hour shopping, I just want to go home. Even if I really really really want to see the movie.

So, I ask you, am I a hermit or just an introverted writer?

Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

mooderino said...

Just a writer, I think.

mood
Moody Writing

writing for pleasure said...

You like your own company and writing.
Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Welcome to my world. I do like being out with people, but I have to force myself into social situations. And then I have a good time anyway.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I think what you describe is introversion as opposed to being a hermit. I know many many people like this. I am like this a lot too. I like my quiet time :) let's me think.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Have you ever heard of dressingyourtruth.com Karen? It helps explain a lot about the different energies we all have, and how we can support our own personal energy through how we dress. It's all about being true to one's own nature, and accepting it rather than thinking there's something "wrong" with us.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Karen--This is me. :) I'm reading the book "Quiet" right now (very good) and it reinforces that highly-sensitive people/introverts really recharge when they are alone.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Both! But that's all right, so am I.

Karen Walker said...

Ooh, this is why I love blogging so much. You can put your heart out here and receive such good thoughts and information and support. Thank you all.

Bish Denham said...

Perhaps not a hermit, but a recluse and an introvert. I can so relate... :) and you are not alone.

Robin said...

I don't know the answer to your question... maybe you're just a writer. It is a lot of solitary thinking.

Robin said...

I don't know the answer to your question... maybe you're just a writer. It is a lot of solitary thinking.

Arlee Bird said...

You've described me in a lot of ways. I love being at home. Sometimes it's nice to be out especially if I'm around family or friends, but over all I like staying at home. I guess we are just comfortable with ourselves and don't have to have other things around us to keep up our spirits.

You're okay and I'm okay and it's all good.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Jack said...

You sound a lot like me. I've been called a hermit, but I don't have the cave for it...

Karen Walker said...

I had no idea so many of you would relate to this. I no longer think something is wrong with me because I feel this way, thank goodness. Maybe this is one of the reasons we all love blogging so much. It is a solitary activity, but one in which we can connect with many others without leaving the house!!!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Nah, not a hermit. Just a homebody. Me, too. I love to go out and about, (once my hubby pushes me out the door) but there really IS no place like home.

Tracy Jo said...

I think you are a lovely introvert. Have you heard of Susan Cain and her book Quiet? If not, check her out. She opened my eyes.

Julie Flanders said...

If you are a hermit then I am as well. I felt like I was reading about myself! I am just the same.