Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday Musings: movies

I hadn't been to the movies in several months. Not sure why. Part of it was health challenges - simply had no energy. Part of it was depression. Didn't feel like doing much. Part of it is that it's hard for me to find a movie I can handle - one that doesn't have violence or torture. But over the holiday I saw three films that I absolutely loved.

First, I saw Savings Mr. Banks, with Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson. It's the story of how Walt Disney pursued the author of the Mary Poppins books (her name escapes me at the moment) for 20 years to get the rights to make the movie, Mary Poppins. At the same time, the movie juxtaposes the real time between Disney and the author with the author's childhood, so we get to see what makes her into the curmudgeon she's become and how and why she might have created the characters in Mary Poppins.

The writer in me so loved seeing what possibly shaped another writer's journey to write a particular story. The movie goer in me loved the writing and acting in this film.

The second movie was Philomena with Judi Dench. I could watch and listen to Judi Dench read the Yellow Pages and be mesmerized. She's phenomenal. This film tore at my heart because of my own story with my child. But it also sheds light on how a particular convent in Ireland treated unwed mothers and their children. The Judi Dench character gave birth at 14 and was put in this convent. Her child is adopted and for 50 years she pined for this baby, then decides to search for it. It is powerful, painful and poignant. Just bring a box of tissues.

Lastly, I saw The Book Thief with Geoffrey Rush and Emma Watson. I can't remember the actress who played the young girl. Now this was harder for me to watch, because it takes place in Nazi Germany during WWII, but I'm glad I did because it was beautifully written and acted and I am still haunted by the images and story that evolved.

The thing I love about movies, and good novels, is that they take me out of myself and into another world. What other worlds have you entered lately?

Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I haven't seen any of those films.

My favorite movies tend to be animated ones, and those are the ones I can get lost in.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I really want to see Philomena! Your review makes me want to see it even more :)

Jack said...

I really want to see Saving Mr. Banks. It sounds so wonderful and the trailer looked amazing. And now that I know more about The Book Thief I really, really, really want to see that one. I will have to make it a goal to get to it.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm like you--it's tough for me to find a movie that I'm comfortable watching. I did see "The Hobbit," but I had to look away for a lot of it! I like these pics of yours...will have to watch them, at least on Netflix.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, yes, i am getting into animated more and more - want to see Frozen.
Optimistic, Judi Dench is stunning in it.
Jack, hope you like them as much as I did.
Elizabeth, isn't Netflix great for introverts?

Carole Anne Carr said...

I do want to see Frozen and love the sound of the Book Thief, Karen.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I still want to see Saving Mr. Banks. Saw American Hustle this weekend. Definitely not your style!

Karen Walker said...

Carole Anne, let's compare notes after!
Alex, a friend already told me I wouldn't like American Hustle.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Hard for me to get to the cinema, due to my invalid husband, but I shall pay for Frozen on the tv as I write for children and always enjoy that sort of thing, Karen :0)

writing for pleasure said...

I haven't been to the movies in years, I usually see them on TV or buy the dvd.
Hope all is well Karen.
Yvonne.

Liz Fichera said...

Other than Christmas movies and football, I didn't see too many movies. Have you read The Book Thief? That is one of my faves.

Happy New Year, Karen!

Jemi Fraser said...

The novel of the Book Thief was too hard for me to read - I put it down. Not sure I could see that one. The other two are definitely on my wish list!! Glad you enjoyed them!

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, you, too!
Liz, Yes, but like Jemi, I had trouble - it was so hard to read. The movie was hard, but not as hard as the book.

BECKY said...

Hi Karen! I'm so glad you saw three good movies in a short period of time! I almost never go to the movies, although whenever I see previews on TV I'll say, "Oh, that looks good! I want to see that!" LOL We just don't spend the money....but I may have to on a few this year! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on them!

Sharon Lippincott said...

"I could watch and listen to Judi Dench read the Yellow Pages and be mesmerized."

"... powerful, painful and poignant."

"... I am still haunted by the images and story that evolved."

Quite apart from the movies, your writing in this post gives me shivers of delight.

Suze said...

What did you think of Disney's speech to Thompson's character in her London home before she changes her mind, K?

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I saw Philomena and couldn't agree more .. excellent film - and I definitely want to see Saving Mr Banks and The Book Thief .. I'm hoping they're bringing Saving Mr Banks back to our local cinema ..

There are some very good movies around at the moment .. loved reading your take on them .. cheers Hilary