Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday Musings: the scale

Good morning everyone,

I need answers, people. I had a scale - a really good scale. Last month it started going wonky. I'd get on it and it would read one number. I'd get on it 5 seconds later and it would read another number. I'd
move it slightly on the floor and it would say something else. I changed the batteries. I shook it. I kicked it a few times, I must admit. Then I decided it had seen better days and went and bought a new scale.

I've had it for about a week. It's been working just fine. Sunday morning I got on it and it read one number. I got on it again and it said something else. I moved it. Yet another number.

Here's where I need help?
Can your weight fluctuate from one second to the next?
OR is the universe trying to tell me something?

Blessings,
karen

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think it's just a wonky scale. Maybe it has to do with its position on the floor?

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Make sure it's always on a flat surface! That heightens accuracy.

Jack said...

My weight goes weird from one day to the next, but it is my health issues....I think your scale is just being rotten. Though personally I think all scales are rotten - this likely because all of them do weird things to me like what yours is doing to you.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, Optimistic, it IS on a flat surface
Jack, poor baby, I feel your pain.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Our scale never reads exactly the same from one moment to the next. I think it's the nature of the beast.

Suze said...

I've experienced fluctuations over the course of the day and over the week. Still, though, I think the best indicator is how good you feel in your clothes. The numbers on the scale only give you the payoff you're looking for when you've been modifying your caloric intake or consistently working out.

In your shoes, I'd just lay off weighing myself for a while. Nature abhors a vacuum, so fill that chemical tick with something else. My vote is for a really tasty tea at the Barnes you and I used to visit. Do some browsing. Sit at a table outside in the sun. :)

D.G. Hudson said...

With digital scales, I just average out the numbers if they disagree, or take the lesser of the numbers. Works for me. It's the digital equivalent of that doctor's scales, where you push the little weights until it balances, but for only a second or two.

Unless, that is, you have a ghost who likes to torment you by fiddling with your weight scales.

Bish Denham said...

I don't and never have owned a scale... so I can't help you.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, oh, that helps!
Suze, that sounds like a really good idea except that weighing myself is how I maintain my weight loss
D.G. oh, maybe it is a ghost
Bish, lucky you!

Carol Kilgore said...

My scale and I don't speak.

Brandon Ax said...

Our scale is the same, it can be everything from how you stand to if you keep your head straight it reads.

Karen Walker said...

Carol now that's smart
Brandon, wow - I had no idea

Robin said...

I wonder if it is the digital thing... meaning that the old-timey scales actually work BETTER???

Arlee Bird said...

Is the scale on a hard surface or carpeted? Like Brandon says the way you stand can make it read differently. Try leaning forward and then standing straight up. Do the readings vary?

Of course as the scales usually indicate they are not suitable for commercial use that probably indicates they are not real accurate.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out