Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: living in the world of surrender

Last week I talked about the difference between giving up and surrendering to a power greater than yourself, whether you call that power God, Goddess, Buddha, Spirit, Great Spirit, and so on. It is one of the hardest things I've ever done and it's a moment by moment process. It's not something you do once and then, wham, you're surrendered. I find myself taking back the control, then I notice that I did that, and let go once again. I have come up with a sentence that really works for me to shift that energy back into the surrender. It is "I surrender myself to the love and energy of Goddess. I release my fears and open to Love."

If you're like me and had a childhood that was difficult, you probably learned to be hyper-vigilant about a myriad of things: your own feelings, the mood of your family members, tension, anger, anxiety (yours as well as others). The ways you came up with back then probably worked fairly well, but I've learned that they don't serve me so well now.  Learning to recognize and change these patterns is challenging, but oh so rewarding.

Here's to surrendering more and more each day.
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We think we can do better, but we can't. It's a battle we'll face every day I'm afraid. Just have to recognize when we've taken back our surrender.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I think having the self-awareness to recognize them is half the battle, and you most definitely have that self-awareness!!

Tracy Jo said...

It's so good to read this because sometimes I wonder...what is wrong with me?? I've been working at this and I just can't get there. Great reminder, it is a journey. I'm not God - I'm not perfect - it will ALWAYS be a journey. Cheers to surrendering!

Karen Walker said...

Yes, it's something I need to be mindful of every single day.
Optimistic, thank you - I think you are so right
Tracy Jo, yes yes yes

Sharon Lippincott said...

As Doris Day put it so well at the other end of our lives, "Que sera, sera."

Karen Walker said...

Oh, yes, and Sugartime sings that song all the time!

Robin said...

Last year I began seeing a therapist who utilized Tapping Therapy. Have you ever heard of this? It is tapping on the pressure points to release traumatic events. We did it one event at a time. We started with the earliest memories and worked toward the present. In the beginning, I wasn't at all sure of how effective it would be. After the first session, I KNEW it worked. In the past, every time I relived that moment it would upset me. Make me cry. Feel angry. The works. After we tapped it out, there was peace there instead. I was smart enough to recognize that it was a lousy situation, do doubt about, but I let my emotional attachment to it go. I could tell the story dispassionately.

People who have experienced more trauma than they can handle tend to be all of the things you talk about here: overly controlling, etc. I know that I became that way... because everything felt so out of control. It is a set-up for codependent behavior. Letting those painful things go (via the tapping) made surrender so much easier.

Is it still a struggle? Of course. But not the way it once was. I do believe that it has helped me gain some traction with alleviating my chronic migraines. I am not there yet, but I am further than I was. I do believe that emotional pain will manifest itself as physical pain in the body if we don't completely release it. The good news is that I also believe that illness can become wellness when we turn that corner in our emotional highway.

I really like your Telling The Truth Tuesdays.

Karen Walker said...

Robin, yes, I have heard of energy tapping and I do believe those modalities work. It's just a matter of finding the right ones for ourselves. I am so glad you are on this healing journey and that you are making such good progress. And I'm glad my Telling the Truth Tuesdays are something you enjoy.

writing for pleasure said...

I too have heard of the tapping method and it works. Paul McKenna who now lives in LA has various books about confidence, stress, all very good and comes with a cd.
I hope this gets to you Karen
Good luck.
Yvonne.

LD Masterson said...

When I can't sleep at night because I'm worrying about things I can't do anything about, I say, "God, I'm tired and need to go to sleep now. I'm putting all these things in your hands because you're the only one who can take care of them." Then I turn over and go to sleep.

Suze said...

'The ways you came up with back then probably worked fairly well, but I've learned that they don't serve me so well now. Learning to recognize and change these patterns is challenging, but oh so rewarding.'

Wow. Karen, I've been reading off this website today. There might not be anything there that is helpful to you, but then again there might be. Just in case:

http://www.prismagems.com/castaneda/

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, LD, thanks
Suze, thank you dear one - I've read some Castaneda - what I love is all the spiritual wisdoms say the same thing in different ways