Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Insecure Writers Support Group - February 2014

It's that time again - the gathering of writers online who share their fears, joys, thoughts, feelings, insecurities, challenges, and successes about their works in progress. It is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh: alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com. If you haven't already met Alex, which I can't even imagine, please go say hi.

I want to share some good news about my writing. I am making very good progress. I just completed a series of meditations with the characters, and once I added the things they wanted included in the story, my word count went from 30,000 to 40,000.

My next step will be to do meditations on setting and then go back through the book and flush that out as well. At that point, I will take a small break, regroup, and then re-read the book out loud. If I am satisfied, it will go to my editor.

I never dreamed I would be writing a novel and I had no idea how challenging it would be. My memoir took 10 years (but that included a four-year semi-hiatus while I went back to school to complete a college degree). I am now into year five of this book. Thank goodness I consider the writing of this book to be my spiritual journey because otherwise I would feel quite insecure about it taking so long.

Well, that's all folks. Till next time....
Karen

Oh, and our wonderful Ninja Captain Alex has a special promotion going on today. Here's the scoop....


“…delivers on the promise of its predecessor, combining military action sequences and political intrigue with strong, memorable characters. Reminiscent of the action-driven stories of Robert A. Heinlein's early fiction…” - Library Journal
Alex J. Cavanaugh’s CassaFire just .99 for a limited time!



Full information:

CassaFire by Alex J. Cavanaugh – Amazon Best Seller!
Science fiction - space opera/adventure
EBook ISBN 978-0-9827139-6-9 $.99 special!



35 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Karen, I'm so glad to hear this good news about your book! Sounds as if it's all coming together.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Congrats on the amazing progress of your book :)

stu said...

Well done on getting that far.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth and Keith, thank you so much
Stu, thanks - it feels good!

Cherie Reich said...

Congrats on the progress you've made with your book! :)

MollyMom103 said...

Yay for growing your work slowly. I absolutely believe that slow will lead to great. Keep going! Happy IWSG day!

MollyMom103 said...

Yay for growing your work slowly. I absolutely believe that slow will lead to great. Keep going! Happy IWSG day!

Melissa said...

Nothing wrong with taking one's time. Some authors can crank them out, but the truly wonderful books are the ones writers take the time to ponder and polish. Such diligence shows.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Best of luck with your WIP! :)

Brandon Ax said...

It takes time and the important part is that you end up with something you are happy with.

Caffe Maggieato said...

Glad to hear you're making progress. You'll get there eventually. The important thing is to not give up!

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Congratulations on making progress with your writing. One word at a time sure adds up. Good luck to you.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's good progress, Karen. I know you have it in you.

Misha Gericke said...

Wow you're doing great! Well done. :-)

jaybird said...

Well done!! I am happy to hear your good news and the progress you have made.

And thank you so much for always leaving me an encouraging word on my blog! I appreciate them so much Karen.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're doing it though!
I never thought I'd write a novel either.
And thanks for mentioning CassaFire's sale.

J Q Rose said...

Good news indeed! You can do it.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I had to smile at your "meditation with your characters". I Think a story is like giving birth--it takes the time it takes. :-)

Glad to see you've made the progress you have. Go Karen!

Sia McKye Over Coffee

mooderino said...

Sounds like you're making excellent progress. The end is in sight!

mood
Moody Writing

Robin said...

Wow. 10,000 word count bump.

Maybe I need to spend some time meditating with my characters....

Yay for you!!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Great job on your word count and on your writing endeavors!!! It sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing. Good job!

M. J. Joachim said...

Meditation sounds like an excellent way to get to know and write about your characters. Very inspiring post today!

Writing for Pleasure said...

Well done on getting that far. I have heard about medatation being good, Good luck.
Yvonne.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Ah...sounds like you know what you're doing. Keep up the good work.

Karen Walker said...

Oh my goodness, had to leave to go to a doctor appt and missed so many lovely comments. Thank you all so much for the votes of confidence and support.

Bish Denham said...

You know, it doesn't matter one bit how long it takes to write something. What matters is that you enjoy the process.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Good luck with your writing, shall hopefully return to writing when my husband is well again. Miss the creative process.

LD Masterson said...

Sounds like you're at a point where a small happy dance would be appropriate. You start and we'll join in.

Karen Walker said...

Doin' a happy dance here - thanks for the suggestion, LD -
Bish, oh you are so wise
Carole Anne - it's hard to focus on something like this when you're dealing with a health crisis, either yours or a family member. Take care.

Arlee Bird said...

That's pretty exciting news, Karen. You'll have that book out soon!

Lee
A Few Words

Julie Musil said...

Yay for you! Progress is progress, no matter how long it takes.

Gina Gao said...

Congrats on the progress on your book!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - that's wonderful that you've worked out the way to go with your manuscript and it's working - that must make the world of difference .. I'm so pleased for you ..

Cheers Hilary

Stephsco said...

Interesting take on meditating about your characters and plot. Do you do any free writing (just writing in your characters voice to get a feel for them). I don't do this often enough but it's very useful.

Karen Walker said...

Lee, keeping my fingers crossed...
Julie, yeah, progress, not perfection, right?
Gina, thank you
Hilary, oh, thanks so much - it does make a huge difference
Stephsco, never have tried that but I think I will...thank you.

S.K. Anthony said...

I'm so happy you're making progress! Keep it going, and good luck :D