Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday Musings: giving up some things I love

There is a mineral hot springs in Northern New Mexico that I love. It is one of my most special places, one where only a few minutes in the quiet, restful baths can feel like a week-long vacation. The waters are soothing and healing and I almost always have some kind of insight, be it spiritual or some puzzle about my life I've been ruminating about.

On Friday I went to the mineral spring resort for the first time in about two years. The day was lovely and I was relaxed and happy. Until my heart started beating irregularly for the first time in months. At first I tried to ignore it, thinking maybe I was just imagining things. But it persisted into the night and the next day as well. By Sunday it had started to calm down. But I hadn't. I really thought, because it hadn't happened in so long, the issue was resolved. So I went on the internet and googled hot tubs and arrhythmia. Lo and behold, there are articles that caution against using them if you have heart issues. Something about the blood vessels contracting and diverting their energy to the skin, dehydration, and electrolyte imbalance.

Although I am sad that I no longer feel comfortable soaking in hot water if it is going to cause my heart to go awry, I am grateful that I think I found the reason the irregularity started up again. Keeping my fingers crossed that my system will get back in balance and stay there once again.

How about you? Have you had to give up something you love?
Blessings,
karen

15 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Thank goodness you found the reason! That should ease your mind somewhat. Have a beautiful Monday Karen!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm glad you discovered what caused it. I had no idea the two were related. I wish I'd known about those baths when I lived in NM.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you don't get to enjoy the hot springs anymore. Do hot tubs have the same effect?

Karen Walker said...

Keith, yeah, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's what it was.
Diane, you are more than welcome to come for a visit and I'll take you there!
Alex, yes, they do. Sigh!

Robin said...

So sorry to hear that you can no longer enjoy the springs. That is a bummer.

Giving up things I love? Oh yeah. I am allergic to my favorite foods. Shellfish (no shrimp, no crab, no lobster, beef, and potatoes. No potatoes every holiday just sucks. But it is better than being horribly sick...:)

Nicole Zoltack said...

I'm glad you discovered what caused it. It's the not knowing that's the worst.

Suze said...

Oh, sweet Karen. Are you talking about Ojo Caliente? I love it there, too. I only went once.

I am glad that you were able to pinpoint the cause right away. That's good for the heart!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I'm so pleased you worked out what was causing the imbalance - but sad that you have had to give up one of your pleasures ... equally just glad you're recovered ...

With thoughts - Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Robin, oh yeah, the food thing - don't get me started
Nicole, yes, that's true
Suze, yes, Ojo Caliente - it is so special
Hilary, thanks so much

Writing for Pleasure said...

Sorry you had to give up something you loved, at least you found out what was making you feel unwell.
Take care.
Yvonne.

Denise Covey said...

It's never easy giving up pleasurable things, but if they're in any way life threatening you should. I think I've heard something about this. A shame that such a blissful activity should result in arrhythmia.

Now you'll have to find something to replace it!

Patricia Stoltey said...

What a disappointment, Karen! You'll have to search for a good substitute like meditation or tai chi or massage (my personal favorite).

I've had to give up on walking and hiking because of a bad knee (and my unwillingness to get replacement surgery quite yet).

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Yvonne.
Denise, you're right - I'll have to think about that.
Patricia, bummer about hiking and walking.What do you do for exercise?

D Biswas said...

I swim for exercise and so far it only seems to have affected my skin. I do love chocolates and have had to cut down on them for health reasons.

Manzanita said...

Karen
I'll tell you why I find this so interesting. Do you recall that I said I too get the rapid heartbeat….. have since I was 14…… but I thought I had learned how to live with it and avoid it.

Before Christmas my water pipes froze and burst and about a month ago the restoration was coming along and I had been doing some painting. My heart began racing off and on, something I hadn't felt in years and then my lower back began to ache and I knew it was coming from my tailbone. I called my naturopath and she said to come in to see her immediately. She feels the tailbone has great importance in the body but is always overlooked by doctors and it is always responsible for the beginning of leukemia. Even over the phone she said there was a connection between the heart racing and the tailbone going out and said I had come into contact with chemicals. I told her no, I hadn't. (I had forgotten there were paint fumes in the house when the windows couldn't be opened.

I went in to see her and she adjusted my tailbone and gave supplements and said stop the painting. Immediately my back ache left and the heart has been normal. You can tell I'm normal again from all the heavy shoveling I'm doing. But, I have walls that are half painted…..haha. Weird, isn't it?
I'm glad you too, found the reason for and the cure. There are some things we just have to avoid.