Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday Musings: Perfect moments

Fairytales lie. There is no such thing as happily ever after. All we can hope for are moments of happiness. Maybe those moments expand into hours or days or weeks. If we're lucky, months. But at some point something is going to happen that will cause us to get angry or sad or scared. It's okay. It's called life. For most of my life, I have been emotionally reactive. I've been navigating this journey without a roadmap and it has been quite scary. 

I am turning 65 in April. I am already enrolled in Medicare and have purchased a Medicare supplemental insurance and prescription drug plan. When I was caring for my elderly parents, they were on Medicare. I associated Medicare with old people. I am not happy that I am now one of those people and was becoming quite depressed about it. Until I realized that every day I have a choice about how I feel. I can choose to be depressed or I can choose to feel joy. And when I find myself feeling anything other than joy, I can choose to bring myself back. It's not easy. But as I do this, I am having more and more happy moments. And spending less time in the negative places.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We can blame circumstances but it really is our choice.
Age is all in the mind.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I love that you see happiness and positivity as a choice. Very inspiring!

I'm an April baby, myself. :)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Rarely does our mind accept the actual years we carry. Yes, there are days we feel 105 as we creak out of bed, but most of time our minds are too occupied with things from living life.

It is a choice. If we allow the years we carry to dictate what we should be or should be thinking and doing it's not going to be good. I prefer to enjoy life as it comes and see the joys and beauty.

There are so many things out there to take joy in, find laughter, see the peace. I don't have time to worry about how old I am.

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Karen Walker said...

Alex, I want to say "wait till you reach my age and see if that is still true" but that's my negative self talking -you are right - it is a total mind set.
Elizabeth - thanks, it's been a long time coming and it's taking a hyper-vigilant watching of my negative thoughts and switching them.
Sia, I think if it weren't for my health issues, I wouldn't have felt this way about the number, but I'm so glad I got myself turned around. Good for you for your great attitude about it.

Bish Denham said...

You are so right! It's all about attitude and the choices we make. Long ago I realized that happiness wasn't my true goal because the other side of happiness, like you said, is pain or sorrow or anger. What I wanted was to be content to be okay, no matter what the circumstances. A side affect of learning how to be content has been... wait for it... happiness, joy. :)

Karen Walker said...

Bish, yes yes yes, that is the key. You said it so beautifully - be content to be okay no matter what the circumstances!!!

Theresa Milstein said...

I just heard a show where they said 60 is the new 40. And it's true. My mother-in-law is 69 and she can run circles around my grandmothers at that age. You look great. Medicine has made our quality of life a lot better.

Jennifer Shirk said...

No negativity here.
I've been getting AARP emails lately and I think they're jumping the gun on me.
But I don't mind getting older. It's all life and all good. :)

Carol Kilgore said...

Yay for you! Congratulations on taking care of yourself and providing your own happy times.

Hugs...'cause I know for you it's not always easy. But it's worth it :)

mooderino said...

I don't think 60 is the same as it was when we were kids. Plenty to enjoy and experience yet.

mood
Moody Writing

Writing for Pleasure said...

I read this with interest, age as Alex say is all in the mind but I am older than you feel the same as I did 20 years ago funwise but have issues I never expected.

Have a good day.
Yvonne.

Robin said...

People work their entire lives so that they can retire and *enjoy* life. That is one way to see the aging process... an opportunity to do everything you didn't have time for when you were working. Or you can just see it as getting old. As you say, it is a choice.