Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 17, 2014

Monday Musings

February is a busy month in the Walker household. It's hubby's birthday. Valentine's Day. And our 18th anniversary is on the 24th. For those of you who have read my memoir, I don't need to tell you what that means - all the losses I've endured and the broken relationships and friendships. To be in a loving, respectful, joyous marriage is a gift and a blessing beyond words.

I am still struggling a bit with my energy level--meaning I have very little. It is adrenal fatigue. But my doc is wonderful and we are working on it diligently. There is already progress with this physician--my heart much improved, as is my thyroid. So I am cautiously optimistic that the adrenals will wake up and start doing what they need to be doing very soon.

I feel somewhat disconnected from the blogging community because there is so much buzz around the A-Z challenge and once again this year I won't be participating. There are two reasons. One, I'll be gone for the first 10 days of April. The second, I really really really don't want to blog six days a week and feel obligated to visit as many blogs as possible. That is so much pressure and my poor little heart just can't take any additional pressure right now. But it's hard to watch all the excitement building and know how much fun it will be for those who do join. I will cheer heartily from the sidelines.

Well, that's all that's on my mind this morning.
How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You can still enjoy from the sidelines. You're right it's a lot to keep up with.
February is your month to celebrate!

Julie Flanders said...

Happy Anniversary and congratulations to you and your husband. Here's to many more years together.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

"To be in a loving, respectful, joyous marriage is a gift and a blessing beyond words." - wow this really stands out. I think this is something we all yearn for someday. Happy early anniversary and happy birthday to your husband!

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yes, I did enjoy watching the fun last year.
Julie, thanks so much
Optimistic, thank you for the kind wishes

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Hoping you have more energy soon! It's tough to feel tired. And you're smart to be so in tune with what you can easily handle and what you should leave alone. I'm like you--knew I could never handle an A-Z. I'd feel so stressed out! But I love to feed off of the energy from the sidelines.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Happy 18th anniversary! And after reading your memoir, I think I know how sweet that must be for you. Hoping you feel better soon. Fatigue may not seem like a big deal compared to some health issues but for the one who suffers from it, it is HUGE. And often seems like it will never go away.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Congrats on 18 years. When is your husband's birthday? And I forgot - did you get married in ABQ too?

Jack said...

February does sound busy for you! I hope you've enjoyed it so far though. And are able to get feeling much better soon.
I won't be doing the A to Z either, just reading some of the posts.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'll grab my pompoms are cheer from the sidelines with you! I did AtoZ once and enjoyed it but it took far too much time from my writing - so I'm sitting out too :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. cheering heartily from the sidelines is just fine - it'll be good to have you around ..

Relax, enjoy all those celebrations and have fun - and am pleased the doc is helping out ..

Cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeath, it's a tough lesson - learning to let go of some things in order to do others
Karen, it sure is sweet - and yes, fatigue is HUGE.
Diane, it's 2/12 and yes, I met him not too long after I moved here and this is where we married
Jack, we'll cheer together
Jemi, same as above - we'll cheer together
Hilary, thanks - I'm thrill with this new doc.

mooderino said...

February - short and packed. Happy anniversary!

mood
Moody Writing

Writing for Pleasure said...

Cheer on from the sidelines Karen. Take care and enjoy all those celebrations this month,

Yvonne.

Carol Kilgore said...

Last year was the first time I'd participated in A-Z. It was loads of fun. But tons of work and long days to visit all the people who visited me. I did nothing all month except blog. I think once was enough. I'm unplugging this April.

Karen Walker said...

mooderino, yes, that's for sure - thank you!
Yvonne, thanks a bunch
Carol, so glad I'm not alone feeling that way.

Suze said...

Happy anniversary, sweet Karen!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Yes, a loving, respectful marriage is a joy and a blessing. I'm glad you have one to celebrate, Karen!

It's hard to say no to things everyone else is doing and yes, you do feel left out. I know I won't be able to do it full bore. I'll just stick to my quazi method and do what I can when I can. And visit when I can.

February is a special month for me because it's when I was given one of greatest gifts ever--my son. I give thanks regularly for that gift. His birthday is the 24th.

Enjoy your anniversary!

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Karen Walker said...

Suze, thanks, sweetie
Sia, the 24th is our anniversary - I'll think of your son as well now.