Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: I'm coveting an iPhone

I'm coveting an iphone. I won't even talk about how long I've been coveting an iPad. I'm one of those people that doesn't really desire many "toys." I've never been someone who has to have the latest this or that.

A few years ago I got an Android phone. I didn't like it much and found I wasn't using any of the bells and whistles. So when I started wanting the iPhone recently, I was puzzled. But when I went to talk to the folks at the store, they said lots of folks felt that way about the Droid back then. It wasn't easy to use. They've improved a lot since then. But I'm an Apple girl - have an iPod Touch and a Macbook pro and love them, so if I'm going to get a smart phone, it will be an iPhone.

The thing is, I don't "need" it. But I've learned that it's okay to want things that you don't need. Where I get stuck is deciding whether to give in to the want or not. Are there certain reasons whereby it is okay to allow yourself to get what you want? I will not go into debt to get what I want. I believe in credit card use only if I can pay the bill at the end of the month.

How do you decide whether to gift yourself with the things you want or do you just go for it?
Blessings,
karen

P.S.
I did it. I got one. Now I have to figure out how to use it!!

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good for you! (Says the man with no cell phone. But I'm getting an iPhone soon.) Sorry, no instruction manual, but there are plenty tutorials online. My iPad is the greatest thing ever. Once you learn how to use it, you'll be amazed what you can do with the iPhone.
And since you were already into Apple products and apps, smart to stay with them.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

It's absolutely ok to want things we don't need. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. We have to have some pleasures in life! I used to be anti-iPhone, but then I got one, and I love it!

Karen Walker said...

Alex, really? No cell phone? Yes, I love Apple products so it was worth it so all devices could sync together.
Keith, thanks for that. Needed to hear it.

Robin said...

Wanting is part of the human condition. If we didn't want things, our lot would never change. If someone didn't want to make more money, have a better job, improve their relationships, figure out why they do things... well none of these things would happen. And sometimes we desire to improve our condition simply so that we can afford the things we want.

So, I don't think there is anything wrong with Wanting. Buying when you can't afford the thing you want is when people get into trouble. However, it sounds like that isn't your issue.

So, if you can afford it and you want it, then I don't think there is anything wrong with getting it.

Writing for Pleasure said...

I have an Iphone and an Ipad alas the ipad is still in the box, can't fathom how it works. Will get round to it after the A to Z Challenge.

Yvonne.

Suze said...

This is just coming from the gut. I'd love for you to have it, and enjoy it. A little bit like the old Revlon (?) commercials.

You're worth it, Karen. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. at least you're being practical about the decision for one - I'm sure you'll fall into getting one. Mine is now 'ancient' and I need to get the latest as I can't download apps or do the things I want to do ...

Enjoy it - and keep coveting till you hold it in your little mitt!! Cheers Hilary

Liz Fichera said...

I'm overly practical. If there's a need, I'll investigate and probably get it (whatever "it" is). I'm finding though that the older I get, the fewer things I want/need. I think too much stuff makes life too complicated.

Jennifer Joyce said...

I'm useless at buying things for myself unless I absolutely need it. I do have an iPhone though - but that's because it's my husband's old one!

LD Masterson said...

I'm not much of an impulse buyer. Usually I look at the price tag on something I want and decide "I don't want it that much". But if I decide I do want it that much, I'll go for it.