Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday - obsessing about nutrition and good health

Trying to eat healthily, get the nutrients and minerals our bodies need, indulge ourselves once in awhile, and not obsess about all of this is becoming more and more difficult.

I love tuna fish with mayonnaise and celery. It's a comfort food for me. I haven't been able to eat it for years because I can't eat mayonnaise. But recently I found a dairy-free, soy-free, organic vegannaise product that tastes just as good as mayo and I have been enjoying tuna fish again. Until a health provider told me I shouldn't have it too often because it has too much mercury.

Everyone says you should get enough fiber - eat those fruits and veggies, but than a health provider tells me fruit has too much sugar so eat less. And it's hard to do grains if you have problems digesting wheat and gluten.

Dr. Oz has a two-week weight reduction program that is very healthy, but it has Greek yogurt on it, which I can't have.

Sigh! What's a girl to do. I am in the process of designing a food program for me that will list several breakfasts, lunches and dinners I can choose from so I don't make myself nuts trying to decide what to eat all the time and obsessing about whether it's healthy, whether I'm going to lose or gain, or whether I'm going to have a sensitivity to a particular food.

But every once in awhile I am going to eat whatever I damned well feel like eating and hang the consequences

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Writing for Pleasure said...

I follow the Paul McKenna regime.
He has 4 golden rules
1:When you are hungry EAT
2:Eat want you want.
3:Eat consciously(enjoy every mouthful)
4:When you feel full STOP EATING.

Yvonne.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Yes there are always so many conflicting pieces of advice regarding what to eat! It's enough to make me want to eat pizza and just say the hell with it :)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

If I ate everything nutritionists said I should I'd gain weight for sure. I even gain weight on weight watchers. What works best for me is listening to my body's appetite signals and only eating when hungry, even if that means just one meal a day with a couple small snacks in between. It's a constant struggle since food is everywhere.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's impossible to avoid everything. We eat a lot of organic and very little out of cans. I won't even tell you what's in beef and and milk you should avoid.

Robin said...

As someone with food allergies (sensitivities) I can feel your pain on this one. I just don't eat the things I know will cause me pain. I eat things I know I shouldn't in small amounts. And I try to eat very little processed foods and more veggies.

I hope that your food map helps you navigate these choppy waters.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Do you eat Miracle Whip?

Even though I'm a vegan, I still have to watch what I eat. I focus on natural foods and get as much soy as possible. Sometimes you have to pick and choose what findings you believe and can follow.

Karen Walker said...

Karen, oh my, gaining weight on Weight Watchers - oy! Glad you figured out what works for you
Alex, I don't do milk, but you're right - but I buy grass fed beef if I can
Robin, me, too - no processed stuff - lots of fruits and veggies
Diane, no don't eat Miracle Whip - never liked it. And I can't do soy. You're right, I think everyone has to figure out what works for them.

Misha Gericke said...

I know exactly what you mean. In the end, I'm going with the eat less and exercise more method.

Because diets contradict each other so much that it's hard to decide which one is the right one. :-/

Best of luck!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - just don't worry too much - eat sensibly: fresh foods mainly ... drink lots of water, and sleep a good night's sleep ...

You're right just follow your own thoughts and common sense .. cheers Hilary

Suze said...

'But every once in awhile I am going to eat whatever I damned well feel like eating and hang the consequences'

Ha! I didn't see that coming. You are so insightful and filled with a gentle wisdom but I love it when you surprise me. :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

Eating healthy is a challenge, that's for sure. I'm in Weight Watchers which helps a lot.