Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday

Saturday, hubby and I streamed a movie on Netfix which had come highly recommended by a dear friend. It's called The Intouchables. Anybody see it? It's a French film and if I tell you what its about, you probably won't want to watch it. I didn't either. But I trust my friend, so I did. It's about a quadriplegic and his caregiver.

It is mesmerizing, inspiring, brilliantly acted, and simply exquisite. I know that's a lot of adjectives that really say nothing except that I loved it. But the message I got from watching this (based on a true story) shifted something in me that has needed shifting for a long time. With the right support, loving care and attention, absolute honesty, and humor, you can accept just about anything and still have a full, enriching life.

Blessings
Karen

15 comments:

Manzanita said...

Once in a wild moon, a movie comes along that is worthy of all the adjectives.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And that's a wise thought to absorb.

Mary Clark said...

I agree. This movie reaches deep to what's needed as we age. It's a good one for spouses to see together and talk.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Sounds like an incredibly inspiring movie :) I shall check it out.

Writing for Pleasure said...

Sounds like a film that words couldn't describe how good it was. Pleased you enjoyed it.

Yvonne.

Karen Walker said...

Manzanita, thanks - that's about it.
Alex, yup
Mary, you're right - that's a good idea
Keith, it was!
Yvonne, thanks

Robin said...

I haven't seen it, but it sounds wonderful. Sometimes just hearing someone else's story gives us the necessary perspective to dig deep and find our own strength.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Wow, that's quite an endorsement! It's nice to stumble across a gem like that every once in a while, isn't it?

Theresa Milstein said...

Thanks for sharing this.

Suze said...

Karen, I recommend Jojo Moyes' book, 'Me Before You.'

Please let me know if you decide to pick it up and, if so, what you think.

Julie Flanders said...

I've never heard of this movie but you have me curious now. What a powerful message.

Bish Denham said...

I've heard of it and, like you, been a bit reluctant to get it. But now I think I'll put it on the list. Thanks!

LD Masterson said...

It's amazing how often a movie (or a book) you have no interest in turns out to be a favorite.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - it's an incredible movie .. and yes I have seen it: absolutely brilliant.

Slightly on the same level as the "Diving Bell and the Butterfly" - I've read the book, sort of watched the film ... but the Untouchables is just wonderful and so heart-warming.

So glad you enjoyed it .. cheers Hilary

Robin said...

Karen... just wanted to let you know that I dedicated something to you on the Thursday post. Hope you like it:)