Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday Musings - BFF's

I am an only child so when I was growing up, having a best friend was what I wanted most. I had one best friend from first to third grade. Another best friend from fourth to sixth. I didn't have a best friend in junior high that I can recall. I had the same best friend all throughout high school. It doesn't matter how many best friends I had through the years. What matters is that I lost all of them.

A lot of pain is associated with these losses, particularly the ones from when I was already an adult. What I have learned is that having a best friend isn't what is important. What is important is having people in your life who really and truly get you. You don't have to explain yourself. You don't have to make excuses or apologize. You can just say whatever you need to say and know you are still loved and it will be all right.

I am blessed to have several people in my life who fit this description. One of them is visiting this week.

How about you? Do you have a best friend or friends? Have you kept childhood friendships?
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I've kept up well with one friendship from college. I'm definitely one of those with a very small circle of friends...I guess that's my introversion coming out!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've lost track of most of my friends. Fortunately my best friend lives in the same house, and she's awesome.
Enjoy your friend's visit!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm still good friends with a couple from school, and I've made some new ones along the way. Moving around can take a toll on friendships.

L.G. Smith said...

I haven't had a lot of close friends in my life, but one or two who really get me and don't judge is all I need. Lucky to have found them. :)

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, that may be part of the issue with me that I had never identified before.
Alex, awww, you're wife is a lucky woman!
Diane, yes, moving plays a huge part. It's hard to keep long distance closeness - but this friend whose visiting - we don't have a problem with that
LG, yes, so true

Robin said...

I am still in contact with a couple of my best friends from school... but I can't say that we are close. It might be different if we lived close to one another. And it might not. I really don't know. But, I do know that those childhood friendships that I lost as an adult were extremely painful times. And it still hurts that the people with whom I have contact... we aren't close anymore. I remember the time so clearly when I thought those ladies would be an integral part of my life forever. Turns out... not so much.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Having someone you can be totally yourself with is a wonderful wonderful thing indeed isn't it?

Jennifer Shirk said...

My mom is my best friend! And my hubby too. I tell them EVERYTHING.:)
I've kept one friendship from HS. I've known her since 10th grade. She was my maid of honor at my wedding too.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I had few friends growing up. two or three, at most. It wasn't until college that I came out of myself and started making more friends, and many of those are my friends to this day. I still have trouble easing into large social situations, but I get better with each new friend I make.

It's hard watching friends drift from you. Even harder if it seems like they let you down along the way. But it makes me cherish the ones I hang on to all the more.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I had to go back and respond to this one because I've reconnected with old friends, even two from grade school, in my later years. And I made a bunch of new ones during this writing and blogging journey. True friends are one of life's greatest blessings.