Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here on Monday and Tuesday. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair.

"ONLY ONE THING IS MORE FRIGHTENING THAN SPEAKING YOUR TRUTH, AND THAT IS NOT SPEAKING IT." Naomi Wolf

"We are called human beings, not human doings."
Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

"The way to do is to be."
Laotzu

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs..(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."
Theodore Roosevelt


Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday Musings: intuition

I spent ten years writing my memoir, Following the Whispers, which is about learning to listen to the whispers of intuition and the consequences when we don't. I am now writing a novel that touches on this theme. You'd think I'd get it by now, right? I guess that's why someone once said we teach what we need to learn.

When I was on vacation in Banff, Canada, at Lake Louise several years ago, hubby and I were hiking along the perimeter towards the glacier. He wanted to hike up the glacier. I didn't, so I stopped. I was standing on the path when something told me to go sit on the bench about 3 feet away. I did. Not one minute later, a huge boulder came tumbling down the embankment landing right where I had been standing. I'm pretty sure I'd be dead or severely injured if I hadn't moved to the bench.  So why do I still question that voice sometimes.

A very intuitive healer told me that it's human nature. The voice whispers and our rational mind says, "that doesn't make sense," or, "I don't understand," and so we don't listen. She said the thing to do is train ourselves to listen and hear, even if we don't act on what we're hearing.

Two things happened this past week that I needed to pay attention to. When I didn't, I was majorly stressed. Once I listened, the stress eased considerably. Think I got it now? We'll see....

How about you? Do you always hear and listen to your intuition?
Blessings,
karen

P.S. Here's a photo of Spring making its presence known in Albuquerque Bio Park.

15 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Karen I am a big believer in listening to intuition. In my opinion, it's rarely wrong :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I love your reminders to listen to our intuition...so frequently, I don't.

And...what an amazing escape! So glad you listened to your intuition in Banff!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Let's hear it for spring! I'm tired of freezing. Although I will today, as it's not to even hit 40 degrees.

That voice might not make sense, but it knows more than we do. I'm glad you moved to the beach.

Mason Canyon said...

I believe there is a voice there and I hear it. Unfortunately being human I don't always act on what it says and I pay the price. BTW, love the photo.

L.G. Smith said...

We can be idiots not listening to that intuition sometimes. Glad you listened and went and sat on that bench!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you moved!
I'm overly cautious so I tend to listen to that voice. For me, that voice is God, and no, it never makes sense in our world.

Robin said...

I could be wrong but I suspect that the inner voice is God whispering in our ear. Or our spirit guide. Or an angel. And we don't listen to that voice to our detriment. I really can't think of a single time when NOT listening to that voice would have been better. So, yeah, I am with on following the whispers.

As for your near crushing by a boulder... so glad that you listened to that voice. That voice is powerful and has our best interests in mind. Why do we need such HUGE demonstrations to understand?

Karen Walker said...

Keith, I'm not sure it could ever be wrong.
Elizabeth, me, too!
Diane, oh, poor baby - hope Spring comes soon there.
Mason, me either - that's why I'm posting - as a reminder to myself
LG, I think we're babies taking baby steps with this stuff
Alex, I like how you put that -"overly cautious" - I tend to be very spontaneous. Maybe I need to slow down a little bit.
Robin, I think so too. I ask myself that same question - I'd like less pain with my lessons, please.

Jerry n Kimberly Peterson said...

Following that intuition is the toughest for us...when we do we look back and see that it was right but then other times we ignore and we end up off course and in stress. We too are learning how to listen to it but first we really need to learn to distinguish it from fear. Never sure if it is fear telling us not to or is it intuition...still learning!

Good luck in all your adventures and may they all be following your intuition because it feels so good being on the right path.

Arlee Bird said...

I tend to believe that most writers basically repeat the same theme or something related to tell variations of the same story. We write not only what we need to learn, but what we want to tell others. If we didn't have anything to say I don't think we'd be writing.

Me? I tend to make a lot of the same dumb mistakes repeatedly. I'm either not listening a lot of the time or just not getting what's being told to me.

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

D.G. Hudson said...

Great example of the positive outcomes of listening to our intuition.

I'm a person that does listen. In a self-defense class the police officer said 'listen to your gut feelings'. If it doesn't feel comfortable, don't go there. It's primal instinct.

Karen Walker said...

Jerry n Kimberly, you two sure are on your right path!
Lee, you make me laugh - I'll bet your more intuitive than you are giving yourself credit for
DG,thanks you are one lucky person if you have trained yourself to listen. It's a real gift.

Liza said...

Lovely picture! I do try to listen, because my voices have been right on enough occasions that I don't dare ignore them.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Whoa, that's a cool story.

I don't think I listen to my intuition enough so I probably would have been hit.

Suze said...

'Not one minute later, a huge boulder came tumbling down the embankment landing right where I had been standing.'

Oh, my gosh, Karen! I got major chills reading that.


View My Stats