Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here on Monday and Tuesday. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair.

"ONLY ONE THING IS MORE FRIGHTENING THAN SPEAKING YOUR TRUTH, AND THAT IS NOT SPEAKING IT." Naomi Wolf

"We are called human beings, not human doings."
Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

"The way to do is to be."
Laotzu

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs..(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."
Theodore Roosevelt


Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Learning curves

I am one of the most impatient people I know. Especially when I'm trying to learn new things. When I wanted to learn to play the guitar, I expected myself to know how to play songs as soon as I knew one chord. This past weekend I was in a Rueda workshop (a Cuban salsa dance). I'd never done the dance before and got so frustrated when I couldn't get a particular step. Until I went to lunch with other workshop participants who were having the same problem. Where did we all get the idea we should be able to do things perfectly immediately. It's ridiculous. Let's all cut ourselves some slack, yes?
Yes.
Blessings
Karen

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We're focused on the end result, not the process. You'll get that move soon.
And I still get frustrated when playing the guitar!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I blame it on our culture of immediacy...these days everything is so fast paced that we end up thinking our lives should be that way too!

L.G. Smith said...

I'm okay being a slow learner. Most of the time I have no choice. :)

Karen Walker said...

Alex, that's so true. I must remember it's the journey, not the end result.
Kaith, yes yes that is so true
L.G. this made me smile

Robin said...

With the advent of things like fast food, we have raised our expectations. On others. On ourselves. Just imagine... if we were still making everything from scratch, every meal would take a long time to prepare. People accepted that it took time. Now that so many things are ready-made (food, clothes, etc,), we expect life to be fast. We forget that things take time. Learning takes time. There is a reason we went through school for the first 18 years of life. It takes a long time to learn stuff.

You will learn that dance step. You will learn the chord progressions. Eventually, you will play a song and dance the dance.

We all need to go a little easier on ourselves and others. Excellent bit of truth for this Tuesday!

Suze said...

Yes! Let's.

And how cool that you're expanding your dance repertoire into Cuban salsa. Hot mama. :)

Liza said...

Remember, it's the road, not the goal...

mooderino said...

Agreed. The process should be fun too.

mood
Moody Writing

jaybird said...

Ah, patience. The lesson that I need to learn over and over again. Have patience with yourself, and enjoy the steps you can do right! Most important, have fun. We high achievers all have the tendency to be too hard on ourselves. (See my post today about my daughter I talk about her struggles with this too)

Pk Hrezo said...

Part of the American instant gratification mentality I suppose.
I have to remind my kids this all the time when they struggle with learning new things. I'm the same way--I expect to be able to pick it right up. Being a writer has taught me that rarely happens. :)

Tonja said...

I agree about cutting ourselves some slack.


View My Stats