Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group - April

Once again, it is time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group, brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com. It is when writers in this incredibly supportive blogging community come together to share their writing war stories.

My post from yesterday could have served as my entry today. I am terrified about tackling publishing after I finish writing my novel. This from someone with 30+ years marketing experience. It is what I did before I retired. Not book publishing. But marketing and public relations, so I know my way around promotion. But it is so different when you must do it for yourself. I am so uncomfortable acknowledging any kinds of accomplishments that when I think about saying  - here I am, I wrote this book, please buy it, it makes me cringe.

I know I will get to a place where I can make myself do whatever is I need to do to get this book out in the world because I've worked too hard for too long not to. But oh how I dread it.

How about you?
Blessings,
karen

21 comments:

Liza said...

When the time comes, your training will kick in and you will be fine...with extra passion as a result of your love and connection to the "merchandise." Good luck!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think Liza is right--you've got so much background in this area that it will come back to you.

It really won't take much--almost all of mine is really subtle. A tagline on your emails. A book image with a buylink on your blog. A Facebook post just saying you're excited that your book is done (and you *will* be excited, so that's very easy!) Congratulations to you for this journey!

Brandon Ax said...

Sometimes the best course is to dive in. Once you are doing it the issue becomes to just keep going instead of worrying. Good luck with this. I am sure you will do great.

Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

Bish Denham said...

I bet you'll do just fine. :)

Chene Sterckx said...

I know exactly what you mean about being terrified about the whole process. You are so luck you have all that experience and I am sure you will do well and it won't be as big as your biggest fear. Our minds tend to create mountains out of little speed bumps.

Good luck!!

Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen, I so understand your angst. After publishing two volumes on CreateSpace last year, I'm looking for a friendly wolf pack to adopt my babies. But please understand, they've sold amazingly well considering I'm not even sure which bush the promo ball is hiding under.

Just get it out there. It's super easy to do with CreateSpace -- you can even purchase your own press name for $9.99. Then you have no press run to cost out, and no inventory hanging over your head. The people who are meant to read it will find it and spread the word.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Take it at your own pace then. No pressure!

Karen Walker said...

I love you all so much and I love the ISWG - Alex, you were truly inspired when you created it.

Robin said...

I agree with Liza. I think that when the time comes, you will be fine. More than fine even. Better than those without a marketing background. And you will get past the "strangeness" of marketing yourself. Because it isn't "you." It's a story that happens to be yours. Totally different.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - sounds like the encouragement is there .. and the note that you do have that knowledge .. but I like what Elizabeth said .. subtly .. and as the others have said .. just do and get going ... then things will slot into place.

Good luck - cheers Hilary

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

I understand your feelings. It's easy for me to promote other writer's work, but had to talk about mine. I hate to talk about myself.

You'll do great.

jaybird said...

Oh Karen I am the exact same way! I worked in Marketing and Public Relations for years and was very successful in it. But I wasn't promoting me, or my book. I am much more less inclined to sell people on how "great" I am. It goes against my very nature. I have to believe in what I sell/market. Not too sure I have that kind of confidence in myself yet. (or ever)

L.G. Smith said...

It really is the cruelest expectation of a group of generally introverted "don't look at me" types.

Juneta Key said...

I am working on my first novel. I am taking it through April NaNo, so all that promotion work is ahead of me, and I do feel intimidated by it.

Juneta at Writer's Gambit

Margo Kelly said...

Here I am. I wrote this book. Please buy it.

:)

*sigh* Those words couldn't be any more SPOT ON!! I feel the same.

Suzanne Furness said...

I think this is something a lot of people feel uncomfortable with. It is always easier to shout about someone else's work than your own. I hope your marketing background will help you with this journey. Best of luck :)

Arlee Bird said...

This is so true. When self marketing a rejection becomes very personal like an assessment of ones value. I think you'll do fine once you start diving in.

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

Julie Musil said...

Karen, you have such an advantage! I know how you feel about "buy my book" stuff but you're ahead in the game because you know what to do! It'll be ok.

Tonja said...

I think you will be fabulously successful. :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

I don't think it ever ends, Karen. I know authors who've been published many times who still obsess over some aspect of the writing or getting published process. Just ask for a little support from your friends and you'll be fine.

Suze said...

I know that you will tackle every phase of this journey--including getting the word out on what you have created--with your typical quiet tenacity, Karen. I have full faith in that.