Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, April 21, 2014

Monday Musings: revisions

Well, I got the feedback I have been waiting for from my editor. The good news is that the book is way better than it was. I did what he had hoped I would do. Only now it needs more. The "bad" news is the third section is weak and I either have to figure out how to make it as strong as the first two parts or I have to go back to square one with what the story is for that part. I'm doing the easier stuff first -the technical things like fixing tenses, adding description, making sure dialogue is believable. That last part--I have to do some deep meditating on what is needed. Right now I wish everything else in my life would recede so I could just focus on this. It's all I want to do is write write write.
How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Work through the first two sections fixing the little stuff. Maybe by the time you get to the third, a new and stronger direction will present itself.

Mason Canyon said...

As you work through the easier aspects of the revisions, your mind will clear and the last part will work its self out. Congrats on the good news and good luck with the revisions.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, that's exactly what I'm doing. Thanks
Mason, thank you - I think it's going fairly well.

Robin said...

I find that when I am not actively thinking on my novel, sometimes a good idea just smacks me on the head out of nowhere. In other words, we are never NOT thinking about our novel. So, maybe taking the time to do those other things isn't all bad. You might be in the middle of one of them when you get a breakthrough idea!

L.G. Smith said...

I'm about half-way through my revisions. Since I'm trying NOT to add to the word count, I find I'm scrutinizing every single sentence to find which words can go. It's a tough process, but the end result is a cleaner, stronger manuscript, so… hang in there. :))

Linda Hoye said...

Best wishes for you on this next round of revisions, Karen. And I hope life gives you the pockets of time you need to do what you love--write (and revise)!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just keep turning over ideas in your mind as you work on the other stuff.

pullupatoadstool.com said...

Karen, it sounds to me like you are making wonderful headway! It's been ages since we've talked but please don't think I've forgotten about you. You are in my thoughts often. Hope to catch up with you soon. <3

Karen Walker said...

Robin, I'm finding that true as well - I am never not working on the book.
L.G. yes, scrutinizing each word is painstaking but so necessary
Linda, thanks so much
Alex, ok
Tracy, miss you!

kmckendry said...

Good luck with your revisions. I know how you feel, somedays I wish I could hide away and spend the whole day writing. :)

Liz Fichera said...

I have been experiencing lots of writer's block lately. I've decided to take the summer off and concentrate on other things and return in August with a fresh perspective.