Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday Musings: Waiting for feedback

So I gave my novel to my editor and two beta readers last Thursday and now I wait. I'm not really nervous, though. Not sure why. My anxiety level around several major things in my life has dropped considerably and it is such a blessing. Usually waiting is the hardest thing. I am very impatient. Instead, I am beginning to think about the next step. Once the book is written, what next. I spent the last few days researching how to write a synopsis. I will do that. I will draft a query letter. I will research publishing houses. I will try to fit my novel into a particular genre, although I'm not sure it fits nicely into any one particular genre. Okay, I'm beginning to get overwhelmed, so I will stop musing for now...
Blessings
Karen

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Small steps! And just take one at a time.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - that's great news ... now no finger tapping, or toe tapping .. patience is a virtue ..

But I see you've got some small steps, as Alex says, ahead of you - well planned ... something to get your teeth into ..

Cheers Hilary

L.G. Smith said...

I'm trying hard not to think about synopses and query letters. I get overwhelmed too when I think of everything there is to do too when this revision is done. :)

Mason Canyon said...

Thinking about one step at a time is the best way to go. Don't think about everything at once are you will become overwhelmed. You've done great so far and will continue to do so. :)

Robin said...

Do you follow the Unicorn Bell site? They do all sorts of critiquing over there. One of the things that they help you to polish is the query. Maybe check them out...

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yes, must remember baby steps. Thanks
Hilary, yes, thank you.
L.G. I seem to get overwhelmed so easily these days.
Good luck with your revisions.
Mason, thanks for the vote of confidence
Robin, no, I haven't heard of that site - I'll definitely have to check that out

Suze said...

Focus on the synopsis for now. Karen, I'm so inspired by watching your journey step by step. This morning as I read your words, I thought to myself, 'She's really gonna go all the way.'

Karen Walker said...

Suze, I'm sure gonna give it my best shot!

mooderino said...

Nothing wrong with feeling excited about your story. Makes it all much more fun.

mood
Moody Writing

Jemi Fraser said...

One bite at a time! Lots of time. And remember to enjoy each step!!

debi o'neille said...

You will get there. I have many days that I regret I can't stand entirely on writing, but I do what I can, and I'm glad for that.
Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com