Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Blessings for things I never thought would be

Today I am filled with gratitude for all the blessings in my life that I never thought would happen.

  • To be in a loving, healthy, wonderful marriage for 18 years.
  • To have a loving, healthy relationship with my son.
  • To be at a very healthy, good weight and to feel good about how I look (at almost 65, no less)
  • To be financially secure
  • To be able to travel
  • To have written and published a memoir and now to have written a novel.
  • To be singing and dancing for older folks in retirement communities.
  • To have a wonderful community of loving friends
  • To feel strong and comfortable inside my own skin
  • To feel good about who I am
  • To be on a spiritual journey that has given me more inner peace than I could ever have imagined
How about you? Are there blessings in your life you never thought you'd have?
Karen

16 comments:

Manzanita said...

You have accomplished much and you are still young to reap the benefits of such a loving life.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

From that list, you have a very rich life, Karen.

Mason Canyon said...

You truly are blessed, Karen. It's wonderful to stop and remember all the things that we sometimes take for granted.

Karen Walker said...

Manzanita, I guess it's all relative, yes?
Alex, yes, I do.
Mason, I need to do this more often.

Julie Flanders said...

You have so much to be proud of. And what a wonderful feeling to realize things you never thought could be now are.

Robin said...

I love this list. Feeling comfortable in your own skin. It has taken me a while to get to this one. It feels like a major accomplishment, doesn't it????

Karen Walker said...

Julie, it's been a hard journey, but so worth while.
Robin, yes, it does!!

Ann said...

A novel, Congratulations Karen. I am delighted your journey has brought you to this place of contentment.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - shows you - you know! Also the fact you recognise how many blessings you've got .. will allow you to relax and accomplish other things ..

Good for you and just add to this list! - cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Ann, thanks so much
Hilary, I think I will!

LD Masterson said...

What a lovely list. You have been truly blessed.

Liz Fichera said...

Wonderful post and list. So happy for you, Karen!

Arlee Bird said...

Not much more you need from the looks of that list. What a blessed life! I have plenty of blessings in my life as well. Never thought that I'd have the wonderful kids and grandkids that I have now. I only wish I could see them more.

Have a great Easter weekend.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Tracy Jo said...

Love it. Such a great list! So wonderful to see your blessings. Have a wonderful weekend!

Misha Gericke said...

Oh yes those are wonderful blessings.

I must say that being comfortable in one's own skin is an all-important one. :-)

Misha Gericke said...

For being happy, I mean. :-D