Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Telling the truth Tuesday: I'm terrified

I can see light at the end of the tunnel in terms of the writing of my novel. Not sure how much more time it will take, but I know it's months, not years. That means thinking about publishing. And that terrifies me.  When I finished my memoir, I spent 2 1/2 years trying to find an agent. I wasn't successful. I didn't know about small publishing houses back then and that you could approach them directly. I thought you had to have an agent. When I couldn't find one, I decided to self-publish. I hired my own editors, then paid for services through the company I chose. I have no regrets. My book  is beautifully done, very professional, it received distribution in bookstores, etc. All print copies are sold. That was 2009.

Since then I have been writing this novel - my first foray into fiction. Since then I have aged 5 years. Since then I have developed some challenging health issues. Frankly, I read all of your posts about the things you are doing to promote your books and want to run away screaming.

I still haven't decided whether to try the agent route again, solicit small publishing houses, or cut to the chase and self-publish once again. Can I just find someone to do this part for me?

Sigh........
Blessings,
karen

15 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Maybe you will be able to find an agent easier this time since you now have a book published.

Catherine A. Winn said...

No,(darn it) you have to do it all by yourself BUT people can search and find you places to send it. Good luck!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No, it's not that bad!! Really. A lot of work online, but that's it.

Manzanita said...

I know nothing but you are surrounded by many author friends to guide you along the right path.

Mason Canyon said...

The path is terrifying, but once you take that first step you'll pick up speed and get to your goal in no time. You're different than you were when you wrote your memoir, you oh so much stronger. You can do it!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

There are pros and cons each way. Depends on your patience and how much time you have to invest. Although the promoting part will be big with all three of those.

Tonja said...

I agree that you'll have an easier time since you're already published and already have a wonderful following here. I say think of the search for a publisher as a search for a company you want to publish your book, not the other way around.

Karen Walker said...

Keith, I would hope that would be true
Catherine, I know, sigh!
Alex, really?
Manzanita, that's true - this group is amazing
Mason, yes, but I'm older, too!
Diane, I am not a very patient person - I think I'll call you about this
Tonja, I like the way you put that - hmmm.

Bish Denham said...

Whatever you decide, I bet you'll be happy with the result. Just go for it!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I still have to read your book .. but now life has settled a little I hope to include reading into the scheme of things ..

Can Karen Jones Gowan and her team help you ..

It's just starting small .. as Alex mentions and go with it - the print can come along anon ... but at least your book is out there ...

Be guided by Diane perhaps .. and Elizabeth .. lots of advice around .. it's the doing isn't it ..

Go for it .. just do and get started .. all the best and I'm sure it'll pan out .. cheers Hilary

Robin said...

Understandable fear. The life of a self-publisher... not easy. The life of querying publishing houses... not easy. Just choose the route that you think will work best for you. That is all that matters.

Julie Flanders said...

Wish I had some advice but whatever path you decide to pursue I know the book will be a great one. Your audience will love it no matter how it comes to be published.

Jemi Fraser said...

The publishing part is definitely the most challenging! Choose whatever feels right :)

Karen Walker said...

Bish, good advice!
Hilary, you are right - there are many people here in this community who can advise me.
Robin, that's my hope
Julie, thanks so much
Jemi - yes, I will - thanks

Arlee Bird said...

I'm excited for you. It will be an adventure. Savor it!

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog