Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Jigsaw puzzles

I have become addicted to jigsaw puzzles. For the last few years I have been addicted to Spider Solitaire. It is my gift to myself when I finish a writing session. There is something about working the game that clears my mind like nothing else. For some, exercise might do it, but it doesn't for me. My mind still chatters while exercising. But Spider and jigsaw puzzles take and keep my focus and attention and I become very relaxed. The feeling of satisfaction when the last piece of the 2000 word puzzle fits in is bliss. I have come to realize that life is like a jigsaw puzzle. We are moving towards the whole, filling in the pieces as we go. I used to feel like I was full of holes that I had to fill in. Now I see the whole picture with just a few missing pieces. That, too, feels blissful.
How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like jigsaw puzzles. I like mind games that get the brain cells moving and have several on my iPad. (Along with Candy Crush. Yeah, it's addicting.)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Can you believe I've never done a jigsaw puzzle?? I need to get out more :)

Mason Canyon said...

We think alike, Karen. Spider Solitaire helps clear my mind too. I can play a game and become more focus on what I need to do. Jigsaw puzzles are a favorite too. Sometimes it's hard to take them apart after all the hard work you've put into them, but then you remember you can do it all over again. :)

L.G. Smith said...

I read an article about this once, and it may have referred to INTJ types (like me) who find relaxation and peace of mind through repetitive puzzle solving and working with numbers. It de-stresses certain types of personalities. It's true for me anyway. :)

Jack said...

I've done that a lot as well. It is relaxing for some reason. I like to play solitaire when I really need to relax.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, you can do jigsaw puzzles on IPad? Oh my, now I really want one. And what's Candy crush?
Keith, some folks don't enjoy doing them
Mason, the one we just did was so beautiful we're gluing it and hanging it up!
L.G., what's INTJ - I must be whatever it is as well
Jack, glad it works for you!

Rachna Chhabria said...

I was addicted to Spider Solitaire earlier, now its Candy Crush.

Robin said...

I love various forms of solitaire, including spider. It is very relaxing. Your brain can focus entirely on the game and let everything else go. My mom used to do jigsaws all of the time. Not so much any longer. I just never really got into puzzles...

Karen Walker said...

Rachna, you're the second person to mention Candy Crush - now I'll have to check that out.
Robin, yeah, some folks just don't.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I love puzzles! I have Talking Tom on my phone and I found puzzles were one of the games to play. I also love Scrabble. They are relaxing and rejuvenating.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, me, too. Just discovered there are puzzles available on my Kindle - scrabble, too. Yippee!

Tracy Jo said...

That's awesome! My Mom is the same way, when she wants to truly relax, out comes the puzzles. :-)

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen, INTJ is from the Keirsey Temperament Sorter. It stands for Introversion, iNtuiting, Thinking, Judging (not synonymous with being judgemental).

Google the INTJ and you'll learn a lot. I took this maybe 25 years ago and was also an INTJ. Today I took it online in five minutes and found I'm now and INFP (Feeler Perceiver). Interesting!

Anyway, I tend to use solitaire and online games as dope for when I really don't want to face things: I'll play ONE game to relax and get ready ... five hours and fifty games later ...

The payoff for you is a squirt of dopamine and related "feel good" brain chemicals. This sort of focus on facts does not really fit with my INFP profile, and I was ambivalent about half the answers, so nobody should take these description categories too seriously. I do like the INFP def though ... It's what I WANT to be.

Karen Walker said...

wow, Sharon, thanks for the explanation. Now I'll have to go see what I am

Misha Gericke said...

Right now, crocheting is what's keeping my mind cleared. :-)

LD Masterson said...

I was addicted to online jigsaw puzzles last year. But I couldn't just finish one, I had to do it again and again to see if I could beat my previous time. I can't resist a timer. So I gave up the puzzles but I'm still hooked on Spider Solitaire.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - jigsaws I've never really got into - my mind wanders off! While I learnt to take Spider and all on line games off any machines .. as I waste too many hours - it might be relaxing, but time has run away .. switching them off makes it easier - there's no temptation.

Cheers and enjoy your relaxing time .. Hilary

Liz Fichera said...

Such a perfect metaphor, Karen!

My release is the Online Jumble. My dad used to love doing it in the newspaper. After he died, I started doing it too. Made me feel close to him (I know, sounds weird) but now I'm hooked! :)