Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Insecure Writers Support Group - May

It's time for Alex's brainchild again www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com. He created the Insecure Writers Support Group and it's going strong. It's a place here in the blogsphere where you can share your successes or struggles with the writing process and get support and encouragement from your writerly friends. See top tab on my blog for other participants.





This month I am only feeling a teensy weensy bit insecure. I am making wonderful progress on my novel. Two-thirds of it is almost done. I need to re-work the last part and that's where my insecurity comes in. The feedback I've received is that there isn't a strong emotional connection with the main character or story and of course, since I'm the writer, the emotional disconnect is with me. So I've had to spend some time trying to figure out why I am as emotionally involved with this character in this part of the story. I think I've got a handle on it it and now I just need to allow the process to work itself out by revealing to me how to fix it. I'm not worried. I know it will come.

Till next time...
Karen

26 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Awesome progress Karen! Two-thirds of the way done! Awesome :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like really helpful feedback, Karen! Glad everything is going so well.

SittieCates said...

I know how you feel. It can be done. :-) And you've finished two-thirds of it! Way to go, Karen!

New follower here, by the way! :-) Nice to meet you. I'm #222 at IWSG.

Murees Dupé said...

Don't worry, you will fix the problem and you will do a great job. Good-luck.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Knowing the problem is over half the battle. It will come.

Julie Flanders said...

So glad to read you're making such great progress. I've no doubt you'll solve the re-working issue. Good luck!

Karen Walker said...

Keith, thanks so much
Elizabeth, thank you
Sittie, Thanks for the new follow!!
Murees, worry is my middle name.
Alex, you're right - I'm trusting...
Julie, thanks for the vote of confidence

Tonja said...

I agree - just give it time. It took me a year to figure out some thing not related to plot or character - but how to present the story - in the novel I'm working on. I'm glad now that I didn't rush it, but I wish I had been able to figure it out sooner. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Read over the first part of the book and let the character envelop you. Find out why you were connected in the first place.

Arlee Bird said...

"Wonderful progress" is a good thing. You're on your way and I have no doubt you'll get to your destination soon and successfully.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Nick Wilford said...

You're doing great! I hope it works out. I struggle with endings too, but take a step back and hopefully the answers will present themselves.

Margo Kelly said...

I agree with Alex, knowing the problem is half the battle. And I've found THE FIRE IN FICTION by Donald Maass to be a huge help in overcoming writing hurdles. There are great exercises inside the book to help you think through an issue.

mooderino said...

Feedback that makes sense to you will always get the cogs turning. Clearly you have an emotional connection with the story already, just a matter of getting some of that on the page.

mood
Moody Writing

Stephanie Faris said...

It's funny...but often something like that can be fixed with just a few paragraphs, scattered throughout. Maybe a couple of tweaks of her reaction to things? When done the right way, you can really improve the story without having to completely rewrite the whole thing.

Andrew Leon said...

Making the characters emotionally compelling is the hardest part.

Juneta Key said...

Congrats on the progress. At least you have a good idea what you need to fix. That is awesome. Happy Writing with ease and bliss.

Juneta at Writer's Gambit

Karen Walker said...

Ah, dear friends, so many wonderful comments and good advice and helpful hints as usual. I've been at doctor's offices all day and haven't had a chance to respond to each and every one of you, but thank you from the bottom of my heart. It means a lot.

S.K. Anthony said...

I love great detailed feedback. Someone else helping us see exactly what is wrong and us knowing what needs fixing is SOOO much better than us finding out after publishing. This of course goes without saying but apparently I'm feeling a bit redundant today lol And yes, it will come!

S.K.Anthony: IWSG

Denise Covey said...

Karen, I'm so pleased your novel is coming along so well. You can see the finish line ahead, and then the hard work begins, eh?

~Sia McKye~ said...

Wow, you've come a long way baby!

Is it that your beta readers aren't feeling the emotional connection? Or have you lost the connection? If it's the first, perhaps it's a matter of showing events in another way that shows their connect? If it's the latter, and since you've taken time to research, develop and write the story...maybe looking at the beginning again. What drew you to these characters and then what drew them to each other. That's helped me on more than one occasion because I'm so close to the characters and story, and after awhile your mind is silently supplying the nuances and details that readers can't see because you haven't given us the way TO see it. I know I've done that myself when writing.

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Jack said...

It is a lot of fun when things start to work out in your writing.

Candilynn Fite said...

Congrats on getting all the writing done. When I get stuck, I take a brisk walk. This clears my channels and viola! answers appear. :D

Chene Sterckx said...

Well done on getting 2/3's through your novel!! you are almost there and the finish line is in sight :) When I was feeling a down about my writing, a friend of mine encouraged me to take a break and read a book by one of my favourite authors, he described it as a blood transfusion for some inspiration.. and it worked! Take a break and put it aside for a day or so and do something fun :)

Chanzie @ Mean Who You Are.

Pk Hrezo said...

That's great to hear Karen! And you know if you need a beta reader when you're finished, I'll be more than happy to do it. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. that does sound positive - so pleased for you .. and as you say your emotional storyline for your character will rise to the surface ..

Enjoy May .. and the novel is definitely progressing .. cheers Hilary

Cara H said...

Good going, keep up the good work! :-)
I'm visiting from the Insecure Writers list. My blog is at The Cheese Whines.