Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, May 12, 2014

Monday Musings: Good health - don't take it for granted

When we're young we think we're invincible. It's impossible to imagine getting older and even more impossible to imagine dying. As I embody my new motto: When facing death, celebrate life (I don't have a terminal illness, but we are all facing death - we just don't know when), the challenge comes when something goes awry. Like my a-fib kicking in, or my thyroid going wonky and I gain weight through no fault of my own, or I feel lethargic and can't move myself off the couch.

Friday night I had an opportunity to take my new motto out for a test run. My heart was racing very very fast and I didn't feel well but we had  dinner plans with two other couples that was a celebration thank you for some work our friend did for us. There was no way I was going to cancel. I just decided to act as everything was fine. And you know what? Everything was. The fabulous food and good conversation and warm feelings we all had for one another made it impossible for me to focus on my heart.

I used to take my good health for granted. So many struggle with health issues - some very close to me. If you have good health, be grateful every moment of every day. And if you struggle with a health issue or too, be grateful for the health you have. I am working so hard on switching my negative feelings about my body and what is wrong with it to loving it and being grateful for all it does for me.

How about you?
Blessings
Karen

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Glad you were able to make it to the celebration dinner and that you felt well during it! I've heard "fake it till you make it" quite a bit and I think that can really help. Great point to embrace the positives regarding our health.

Jerry n Kimberly Peterson said...

Well put...

That old saying comes to mind so many times throughout our days now that goes something like this, if I would have known I was going to live this long, I would have taken much better care of myself.

But instead we have aches and pains and then there are the ones that make us say, "Hmmm, is that something different that I should be paying more attention to?" But, then it goes away and another one creeps up keeping us thinking once again.

So glad it was nothing and all we can do is keep going and not allow what is in our heads to stop us from what we think might happen or what it could be.

BTW...LOVE your blog!

Mason Canyon said...

Having a positive attitude does make a difference in us and the way we enjoy life. By focusing on being happy and enjoying your plans you helped improve your health. We all need to learn how to switch off our negative feelings and let that negative energy go away.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, thanks so much
Jerry n Kimberly, thanks - and so glad you like it!
Mason, yeah, switching off the negative stuff - that's the key.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I am very grateful for my health.
Friendship and laughter can do wonders for your body, so glad you went to dinner anyway.

Robin said...

As someone with chronic issues, I KNOW that good health is everything. I am just now discovering just how important our thoughts are. If you have heard the expression "Pain are thoughts," well... that is true. If we focus on negative stuff we will feel bad. It will exacerbate every physical ailment we have. If we focus on positive thoughts, our body responds to that. Good for you on enjoying your dinner and allowing your heart to be uplifted by that experience. Our mind and our body are not SEPARATE things... they work together.

LD Masterson said...

I had a milestone birthday on Friday that included adding a Medicare care to my wallet. Yeah, I'm feeling pretty mortal these days and very grateful for all my body parts that still work (some better than others).

Arlee Bird said...

What you say here is so true. I try to keep my mother on a positive track, she's been so negative over the past couple months. If we don't have something good to look forward to in life then it's easier to give up. I want to keep going for many more years.

Lee
Tossing It Out

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Health is so important, especially the things we can control. Watching someone self-destruct is the worst.

You have a long ways to go, Karen. Keep believing that.

Suze said...

'The fabulous food and good conversation and warm feelings we all had for one another made it impossible for me to focus on my heart.'

It sounds like your heart was fed that night. :)

Karen Walker said...

Alex, keep being grateful!
Robin, yup yup yup
LD, we shared the same milestone birthday. Congrats.
Lee, you are so right.
Diane, I'm working on it!
Suze, what a beautiful way to put it.

Stephanie Faris said...

I have a new laptop that causes me constant problems and it's led me to think how many things in life we just expect to work. We expect when we stand up, we won't feel pain and everything will work as it should. Same with our cars, electronics, etc. We only notice when something doesn't work--we take for granted all the things that function the way they should.

Misha Gericke said...

So true. I've found that even if I'm in good health, I can make myself sick just because I focus on the bad stuff. That's why I try to stay positive.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Well done Karen - sometimes we think ourselves into situations .. glad you enjoyed the evening ... cheers Hilary