Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, May 5, 2014

Monday Musings: insomnia

Insomnia is mysterious. Why is it some nights I lay my head down on my pillow and the next thing I know it is morning. And other nights I lay my head down on the pillow and no matter how much I deep breathe, count sheep, say sleep sleep sleep sleep over and over, I am still awake at 1 am 2 am 3 am, etc. Oy vay I am so tired, no pun intended, of this. I refuse to take sleeping tablets, except when I travel. Cause when I travel I've spent so much money to get there I'm not going to let lack of sleep keep me from seeing what there is to see. But home? A doctor I know thought it has something to do with aging, but then why does it only seem to happen to aging women? No men I know have trouble sleeping, except one.

I'm lucky I don't have a paying job I have to get up for the next day. But I have had to cancel so many appointments cause I am zombie girl after a night of little sleep. Thoughts, suggestions, advice anyone? I'm getting desperate....
Blessings
Karen

13 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

Someone told me once it has to do with our Circadian rhythms? And those are influenced by the moon's pull on the tide...because our bodies are mostly water, we're impacted, too--we just don't realize it. I think the only people who never have trouble sleeping are people who never, ever get enough sleep, so they're so exhausted they just crash every time they lay down!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It has to do with aging? Oh crap.
It sometimes takes me a while to get to sleep. Or if I wake up, to get back to sleep. Like you, I won't take anything though.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Karen I have been a life-long sufferer of insomnia. I tell you what has really helped me. Walmart has a generic over-the-counter sleep aid. Completely non-habit forming. It's basically just benadryl (sp?). It works like a charm. And reading in bed really helps me too!

Karen Walker said...

Stephanie, really? Hmmm, then why doesn't it affect everyone?
Alex, yeah, crap!
Keith, I've been reading in bed before going to sleep. Makes my eyes tired. Sometimes I fall asleep - sometimes not. Maybe I'll try your remedy...

Mason Canyon said...

I have days (or nights) like you too, Karen. I think sometimes it's just because I have so much on my mind when I lay down. I hate waking up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. Then when it's time to get up, I get so sleepy I can hardly stand it. Go figure. :)

Thoughts in Progress

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I fall asleep immediately. (Drives my husband nuts, since he can't.) But if I wake up in the middle of the night, I often stay awake.

One thing that helps is I take an herb called valerian hops. Two of those, and I am out all night and don't feel groggy in the morning.

Jennifer Shirk said...

As me and my hubby get older, we're having insomnia too. I never had trouble sleeping so when it happens, it's awful.

Robin said...

The ONLY thing that helps me go to sleep at night is listening to meditation CDs on my CD player. If not for those, I would be like you... up until all hours of the night!

Karen Walker said...

Wow, such really good ideas. I think I will try your herb, Diane. And Robin, a meditation cd sounds like a good idea as well.
Jennifer, sorry - yes it is awful.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I've had insomnia my whole life. :( I've had the sleep tests done...the doctors think I just don't need much sleep. And I'm not usually tired the next day, but it's so odd being awake when everyone else is asleep! Hope yours is better soon. :)

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. Lucky you you are not tired.

Carol Kilgore said...

I have bouts every once in a while, usually when I'm stressed about something. It's worse waking up in the middle of the night. I have no clue how to fix it, but some of these remedies sound worth a try. Good luck!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Interesting thing about sleep. It's only been a recent thing with whole 8 hours sleep thing. BBC did a article on sleep patterns http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16964783. Broke down into historic patterns that show that we tend to have first sleep--that first fall asleep--might be a couple of hours or 4 hours and then we wake up. Then there is the second sleep where we fall to sleep again until morning. Interesting article. Another thing I learned, that I didn't know but makes perfect sense,was about stage two sleep.

Stage 2 is slightly deeper sleep - you may feel awake and this means that, on many nights, you may be asleep and not know it.

I have those type of nights where I'm in stage 2 and it makes me feel like I didn't sleep at all, until I look at the clock. Ah-ha moment. There are other times I'm out like a light the whole night.

Sia McKye Over Coffee