Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group - July

I missed you guys in June. Well, that's not really true. I didn't think about blogging once while I was in Europe.

I do miss ISWG, though, the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh, www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com. I'll have to go back and see what y'all had to say while I was gone.

Before I left, I gave my manuscript to four beta readers. It is so hard to give your baby into someone else's hands. I've been working and paying an editor for the past few months, but that's different. One of these readers is a writer/editor herself and one whom I trust implicitly. She did not find any major issues with the manuscript and, this is hard for me to say, but she totally loved the book. I will be posting more here about feedback and how I handle it, but out of the four readers, three are loving it. I haven't talked the the fourth to see if she's read it yet.

Truth is, I am proud of this book. It carries my blood and soul and sweat and tears. Everyone is telling me I should publish. I will. I just don't know whether to even try to publish traditionally or simply self-publish. I will ponder this over the next few weeks as I "airbrush" my story, as my friend so eloquently put it.

How about you? Are you feeling insecure this month?
Blessings,
Karen

26 comments:

Carole Anne Carr said...

No one answer to that, Karen, I find that most people try several routes to publication, long before the work is ready, and are discouraged. But when they have spent months editing and editing, and know the work is good enough, then they are nearer to success. Obvious but true. Good luck!

Cathrina Constantine said...

You could try getting an agent seems almost impossible, and it's not because your book isn't fantastic, agents are overloaded, and they're looking for unique money makers. Just saying. There's plenty of great small and independent publishing houses that are wonderful. Good luck with your decision and publication of your book!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That is wonderful news, Karen. When it's airbrushed and ready, you'll know what route to take.

Tonja said...

Congratulations!

Jemi Fraser said...

Me? Always feeling insecure :)

Congrats on the great feedback!!! That always feels great!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome! And here you worried about that book for so long.

Rose Munevar said...

Hope you had fun in Europe! It sounds promising to have so much positive feedback. Whatever route you choose, I wish you success.

L.G. Smith said...

I feel ya. I'm just wrapping up my revision and getting ready to send out to beta readers. It's a scary moment when you hand off something you've been working on for years and now have to wait for feedback on whether any of it works or not. Glad you're in a good place with your story and ready to move forward. :)

Julie Flanders said...

Congratulations on the great feedback! That's wonderful and you must be so proud of this story.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Carole Anne
Catherina, the whole process of trying to get an agent is rather daunting, but I think I must try
Diane, thanks for the vote of confidence
Tonja, thanks
Jemi, I feel ya
Alex, yeah, just goes to show worry doesn't help anything, does it?
Rose, thanks so much
L.G. Oh, big sigh here for your journey as well.
Julie, thank you - I am kinda proud

PK Hrezo said...

Karen that's so great!!! Congrats!

And now I have to go check out your European trip. How fun!!

cleemckenzie said...

It's hard to know what's best for your book, but fortunately you have a lot of choices these days. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Loni Townsend said...

Woot! Wonderful to hear they loved it. I have no advice on the traditional vs self-publishing though. Each person has their own dreams, and the route differs.

I look forward to finding out what you choose to do!

Loni

S.K. Anthony said...

That is fantastic! And you *should* be proud! You'll know what to do with it once you've polished it. :D

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It's a scary feeling giving a manuscript to betas! Know they'll love it, though.

You could do both? Submit to agents and direct to publishers with a personal deadline ("if I haven't heard a firm answer in __months, I'll go ahead and set the self-pub in motion").

olgagodim said...

Have a morning exercise: tell yourself ten times that you are great. Do it in front of the mirror and smile. Might help. :))
Really, when we believe, things happen. Some say it's a self-fulfilling prophesy but I think it's just when we believe, we talk and act differently, and the self-assurance attracts both people and luck.

Liza said...

Hooray for you. I am sure that fourth reader's feedback will be great, too.

Julie Musil said...

Wow, that's wonderful! Your editor friend would probably have no trouble telling you about any issues. That's gotta feel pretty darn good. Congratulations on the good feedback.

Suzanne Sapsed said...

Had a whizz through your posts on Italy and Romania - looks amazing! And lovely to hear such positive feedback from your beta readers )
Suzanne @ Suzannes-Tribe
x

Robin said...

First, that is great news. I know that must do your heart good.

I think I would make a point of talking to folks who have self pubbed and gone the traditional route (and some who have done both). I am sure there are pluses and minuses to both. I think it might depend on what sort of person you are as to what will work best for you. Best of luck as you figure it out.

Jennifer Chandler said...

I'm sure your trip to Europe was fantastic! I'll browse your posts to catch up on that :)

Congrats on your book! That's wonderful that you have trusted crit partners to read and give you honest feedback! I look forward to hearing more about your new book.

Happy Fourth!
Jen

Fundy Blue said...

Hi Karen! I'm visiting as an IWSG member. I love your William Wordsworth quote! I was in Europe too this June! I hope that you had fun. Good luck airbrushing your story ~ I'm sure that must be exciting!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - welcome back and look forward to reading some of your travels ...

But that's great news re your book .. and now let it simmer and see where you go .. yay all the way .. cheers Hilary

jaybird said...

That is fantastic news Karen!! I am so happy for you. I hope you do publish so we can all benefit from reading your work.

WELCOME BACK!

J.L. Campbell said...

The reactions say good things about your work, Karen. I guess you'll make a decision that's right for you as time goes on. Thanks for visiting on the blitz.

Feather Stone said...

Congratulations on the great feedback on your manuscript. How did you find your beta readers? I'm looking for a few betas for mine, a suspense / romance.