Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday Musings: don't take anything for granted

I'm being told I'm old. I don't feel old--until I look in the mirror, that is. But here's the thing. We're all going to get here some day. As I deal with all the health issues that come along with aging, I realize how much I took for granted when I was young. I think we should instill in our children that they shouldn't take anything for granted, but rather be grateful for each and every blessed good thing -- like youth, good health, having friends, doing well in school, you get the idea. It's much harder to be grateful when you're older and have issues. But if we have practiced gratitude all of our loves, it would simply be habit.
What do you think?
Blessings,
karen

11 comments:

Liza said...

It's hard for those younger to ever think they will age...or will ever encounter the issues that are a normal part of aging. That's just human, I think. It's hard to anticipate that which you have never experienced. Hope your health issues aren't serious.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I look in the mirror and see grey and wonder 'Crap, when did that happen?' If only we realized how good we have it when we actually have it that good.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Good health is one of those things we don't think about until we're sick or in poor health. We need that attitude of gratitude all the time.

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, I couldn't agree with you more. We need to be grateful for all the small and large things in our lives. Time has a way of slipping up on you before you realize it. What seems easy to do today will be a little harder tomorrow and the day after.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Such an important point, Karen. Thanks for this reminder to focus on what I'm grateful for today!

Robin said...

I am a big believer in the attitude of gratitude. Even what we think of as bad stuff (at the time) can be used for good. If we learn something, if we don't do it again... then we can be grateful for that thing. Take my date yesterday, I am grateful for that experience. It gave me an opportunity to dig deep and find my voice. If he hadn't been so awful, I wouldn't have had that OPPORTUNITY.

Jemi Fraser said...

So true! Being grateful for what we have is so important.
When someone says something to me about getting older, I always respond 'It's a whole lot better than the alternative!' :)

Karen Walker said...

Liza, so true, it is very difficult to understand something you haven't experienced yourself
Alex, yeah, if only...
Diane, yup, we sure do
Mason, yes, that's it exactly
Elizabeth, when I write, I'm reminding myself!!
Robin, that was so great that happened for you
Jemi, I think about that as well!

L.G. Smith said...

That's a good habit to get into. I'm trying to be more grateful, and it does help. And, yeah, I'm only 51, but I'm starting to feel it some days. Blah.

Susanne Drazic said...

Karen, I agree with your post. When we are young we think we are so invincible. Nothing will happen to us. Then we get older and oh what a reality check we get. : )

Sharon Lippincott said...

I agree with everything everyone has said. AND, the medical profession needs to realize the power of suggestion. Using terms like "at your age" to justify or explain anything encourages an "OMG, I'm getting OLD" attitude and expecting problems to escalate.

Chronic problems are chronic problems at any age. Fingers crossed your a-fib will be better now.