Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday Musings: Next Step

September will be five years since I visited Ireland and Scotland and the voice came, "Tell my story."
First of all, I had never heard voices before, so it took some very powerful coaching sessions with Mark David Gerson, http://www.mdgmedia.com, to understand how to allow this story to emerge. Then it took several years for that to happen because there was some major spiritual healing occurring as I was writing.

When I finished the first draft, about 8 months ago, I thought I was close to being done. But I really only had a skeleton, which was hard to hear after four years of hard work. Now the skeleton is fully developed. I just received a new set of revisions from my editor, but I am closing in on being done.

All this time, I have avoided even thinking about publishing and marketing. But I want this story out in the world. Those who have read it want it out in the world. So I am starting to craft query letters. And a synopsis. And I've purchased "A Guide to Literary Agents" and "Novel and Short Story Writers Market" and am beginning to identify potential agents and publishers to contact.

If anybody has any suggestions on this next phase of my journey, I am all ears. In the meantime, how are you all? Anyone else about to embark on their "next step" in life?

Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This is very very exciting Karen. All your hard work is going to pay off :)

Mason Canyon said...

Karen, wishing you much success on the next step in your journey. The end results will be well worth the efforts you've given it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You've worked on it for so long - time to take that next step.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome! Time to polish that query letter.

Tonja said...

I was at a writer's conference this week and had the opportunity to talk about marketing my book to an editor at random house (cool, huh?) and was able to pitch to an agent (who asked for my opening chapters). If you have the opportunity to go to a conference, that will get you some connections and will give you an opportunity to workshop it with other writers in the same genre.

Karen Walker said...

Keith, sure hope so
Mason, who said something to the effect that it's the journey that matters, not the destination?
Diane, not quite there yet - still some revisions to do
Alex, polish? I have to write it first, LOL.
Tonja, hmmm.....

Jemi Fraser said...

Yay!!!

For query advice, the best place I've come across is Agent Query Connect is http://agentqueryconnect.com/ - There are forums there for all kinds of advice, including one where you can put up your query and get advice from members to make it stronger.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Congratulations! I know taking that next step is a little scary, but you've put in the work; now it's time to reap the rewards. Good luck.

L.G. Smith said...

Yay! I should be querying within the month too. And one of the best resources for beginning your research on agents is through Query Tracker. It's a database listing American and UK agents and what they represent. You can search by genre to find which agents represent what you write. And then there are links to their website, interviews they've done, and lists of clients. There is a free version and also a membership version that costs $25, which I do when I'm actively querying.

Good luck!

Ann Best said...

I would love to read it when it's published, so don't give up!

Karen Walker said...

Jemi, LG, thanks for this info
Susan, can't wait to reap...
Ann, oh, that's lovely. Won't give up. Promise.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Keep celebrating! You have a solid support group here who will help however we can. I fully concur with Jemi's advice to get wide-spread feedback on your query letter before you send it to a single agent. Don't forget about small presses where you don't need an agent. That may be your best bet. Self-publishing is a strong option today too. Keep the faith and the fingers moving.

Pearson Report said...

Hi Karen, I don't have any answers to your questions but I'm full of good cheer - which I'm sending your way along with the knowledge that I'm going to add you to my nightly talks with the Universe - it can't hurt… and I know the Universe is listening.

Keep the faith, and keep believing in yourself.
Hugs, Jenny :)